ID:2374235

Hey, welcome to the new and improved tutorial.
This tutorial will be easy!

*Pins*
-Roothoric says:
The riched30 verb has been fixed and no longer needs the workaround. Now this will suffice:

# Update winetricks, just in case
WINEARCH=win32
# optionally set WINEPREFIX, recommended
sh winetricks riched30 wsh57 vcrun2013 ie8 gdiplus_winxp ogg ole32

(There is a new way to install winetricks, please read tutorial for more info)

Audio Freak says:
Recent Ubuntu or Ubuntu based distros have a dependency issue that wine has failed to include in their Wine for Ubuntu page.

Copy and paste this before proceeding the installation if you have Ubuntu on or past 18.04.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TUTORIAL

Go to winehq.org and install the latest Wine development (Might have better fixes). If you want the stable version, go ahead. I am using the development version.

After installing, use the same terminal you used and open wine using this code: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg

Winetricks has new instructions. If you use previous ways, you'll be stuck using 4.0. I pulled this directly from the website and this is how you'll install winetricks until they want to be jerks and change everything on us again:

The script is maintained by Austin English at https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks. The latest release is available at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/ master/src/winetricks. Right-click on that link and use 'Save As' to save a fresh copy.
Alternatively you can get winetricks, using the commandline, with the command:

cd "${HOME}/Downloads"
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/ master/src/winetricks
chmod +x winetricks

--------------------------------------------------------
*** This work around is no longer needed***
VVVVVVV
Just one more thing you'd want to download since one particular thing keeps bugging. First, go ahead and try to install Riched30 from winetricks. If you don't know how to open it. Just open a terminal and type in winetricks then press enter. It will pop open the GUI.

Go to the download component or dll selection, and attempt to install Riched30. If it doesn't work, you need to download it manually: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo6i5hlrvkhzxku/InstMsiA.exe?dl=0 (Should now work on recent winetricks release!)

After that, go to the home folder. Right click and show hidden files if your distrobution as that feature. If not, just add /.cache.

OK, once you access that folder; click on .winetricks. You will see a riched30 folder. Copy and paste that file you downloaded and replace the old one. Now, try again using winetricks to install that. It will work. Stay on winetricks, we need more things.

****This work around is no longer needed**** ^^^^^^
------------------------------------------

Alright. All the hard part is over. Now it's the easy stuff. You need to get Wsh57, VCRun2013, Internet Explorer 8, GDIPLus_WinXP, Ogg, Ole32. You will get a nearly perfect BYOND experience. You are welcome!

Or copy and paste into Terminal:
sh winetricks riched30 wsh57 vcrun2013 ie8 gdiplus_winxp ogg ole32
Note: If you want a seperate prefix for BYOND in case you play a lot of games with web based stuff that needs winit and the http which ends up breaking BYOND, then just do this

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.byond winecfg

and then make a gaming one:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.gaming winecfg
Any way to run it on hardware mode?
What do you mean run on hardware mode? I don't believe there is a such feature on Wine as to it doesn't need anything extra. It uses your hardware already.
If you're talking about BYOND just go to the pager>preferences>Games>Use graphic hardware.

In response to Audio freak XD
Games won't load in hardware mode is what I'm saying. Well. They load. But you can't do/see the map.
What distirbution are you using? The tutorial is more for Ubuntu based OSes.

All libraries should work on any supported linux OS. And I am still have no idea what you're talking about (not to so sound rude). You just open and play BYOND. There's honestly nothing else you need to do. Perhaps you're talking about some sort of winetrick settings. However, it's not necessary regardless. It works well with default settings. My games run perfectly. :)
In response to Audio freak XD
BYOND's hardware mode.
That works out of the box when you follow this tutorial unless for some odd reason you don't have the correct graphic card driver installed. Surely, it isn't an issue with wine but the distro.

I am using a computer that uses intel, and that as always worked well on Ubuntu based distros.
I think he's talking about the AMD issue, however.
I used to have a computer that had AMD. I just installed the correct driver, and my issues were resolved afterwards. So look into that.

It was AMD catalyst I installed from synaptic package manager. Hope this helps you.
The riched30 verb has been fixed and no longer needs the workaround. Now this will suffice:

WINEARCH=win32
winetricks riched30 wsh57 vcrun2013 ie8 gdiplus_winxp ogg ole32
In response to Roothorick
Roothorick wrote:

WINEARCH=win32
winetricks riched30 wsh57 vcrun2013 ie8 gdiplus_winxp ogg ole32

Thank you for updating that!
I have updated all the instructions for present wine. Winetricks has a new way to install. Do not install by the github. It will retract your wine version down to 4.0. Please read the tutorial if you want wine development versions.

(Also don't install winetricks from the store either. It will do same! You have to do it the way winehq recommends)
VVVVVVV ----No Longer Necessary, follow the tutorial instead ----- VVVVV

riched30 has its problems again. It will install, but they changed the version or something. It won't show any text in outputs. So you will not be able to communicate.

Also, ogg and ole32 do not show face icons anymore. Something is broken. :(

I found this line is good for now: sh winetricks wsh57 vcrun6 ie8 gdiplus_winxp
Good news! The issues are now fixed, and the old way of doing things are correct again.

Also update: All BYOND games seems to work fine besides Eternia 3. It does show the text box, but the chat options are not usable, and the text box does not scroll. However, you can copy and paste everything into a text editor, so there's that at least.
My only issue with this method is that for me, some of the SS13 interfaces (like some vending machines and the PDA) do not load and throw a Javascript not working, or not installed error.

See here for my issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/jm9v9d/ ss13_on_ubuntu_with_wine_javascript_not_loading/
I have text chat failing on me still, and i do have riched30 installed
In response to QuakeIV
I did just try the workaround mentioned to install the "wsh57 vcrun6 ie8 gdiplus_winxp" winetricks packages and this was also unsuccessful