In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
There were 3 + my own.

It's a bit unfortunate that the contest was scheduled on the day/time period that hurricane florence hit...

But still, 3 submissions? For a contest with prizes? :(
The forum used to be.. I wouldn't say filled, but had quite a few people back in the day for these types of contests. Now a days the forum is run by the same like 5 people, who tend to chase/scare away anyone that's new.

On a a different and less bleak note, can we get a list of entries so the audience can try them out too. I am excited!
There was a lot of interest from some GameDev communities that I cross-posted this to. The only thing that seemed to be the upsetting factor was that they couldn't win first prize.

I think maybe we can try something like this in the future as just a general gamejam. Maybe that way we can bring in more developers who might use something different, and at the same time at least promote the brand a bit.
Ha ha good one. You're just so funny!
In response to Gooseheaded
Gooseheaded wrote:
Also GooseHeaded will award BYOND memberships to his own honorable mentions, as well as hinting at another prize.

This mystery prize will be announced after the submissions window closes.

What I will say, however, is that the recipient of the prize will be democratically elected by the participants of the event!

I've gotta ask, what happened with this thing?

xD
I'm looking forward to hearing what games were submitted. Some of my favorite BYOND games have originally been created for GiaD.
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
Gooseheaded wrote:
Also GooseHeaded will award BYOND memberships to his own honorable mentions, as well as hinting at another prize.

This mystery prize will be announced after the submissions window closes.

What I will say, however, is that the recipient of the prize will be democratically elected by the participants of the event!

I've gotta ask, what happened with this thing?

xD

I'm still here. The prize is a $25.00 ThinkGeek gift card!

Honestly, though, with only 4 participant teams -- one of which was mine -- I'm not sure I can follow the format mentioned in my first post. I"ll have to come up with a more creative method of giving it away.
In response to MysteriousProgrammer
MysteriousProgrammer wrote:
Like http://www.byond.com/games/Oasiscircle/TurtleTower

and http://www.byond.com/games/DMCast/Swarm

haha!

Try some of these!

Entombed: http://www.byond.com/games/D4RK354B3R/GameinaDay2016
Horror survival, procedurally generated.
(Use WASD to move, and Q and E to rotate the camera.)

DawnCaster Infestation: http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation
First person shooter, "Doom clone" style. A nice challenge! Took me several tries to beat.

Myriad: http://www.byond.com/games/Oasiscircle/Myriad
Dungeon crawler, kinda Rogue-like.
In response to Gooseheaded
Gooseheaded wrote:
I'm still here. The prize is a $25.00 ThinkGeek gift card!

That's actually a pretty cool mystery prize =3

Lots of fun novelties you could get.
are we getting close to a reveal?
Ahoy folks! I stepped away from BYOND for two weeks before the reveal - and found someone paged me with a request about the GiaD. Considering all they've done for the community, I want to give them a chance to participate.

I paged them back yesterday and want to give proper time for a response, so I'm postponing results until next weekend. This doesn't effect the entries we received or who's going to get prizes (in other words, this isn't another entry). My bad! I should check my messages more often.
5 points from griffandor.
I'm postponing results until next weekend

It's time for the goods.
Orange55 wrote:
It's time for the goods.

Ahoy folks! Here's the results from this year's GiaD:

1st Place: Metamorphman (Rainbow Maze)
2nd Place: D4RK354B3R & Gooseheaded (The Shores of Adora)
3rd Place: Orange55 (Colored Core)

This year we had a small crop of submissions, but each was excellent! Judges are really impressed by each of the three entries, and for different reasons. In the end, however, Metamorphman was a cut above the rest in terms of polish and theme.

Rainbow Maze Screenshot
Rainbow Maze

Metamorphman's entry was stable and feature complete. Gameplay was neither too esoteric nor too simplistic, and could be expanded with new levels, random level generation, or any number of features. Judges felt the game was limited in "vision", but enjoyed the level of polish as well as the look and feel of the game. Particular attention was paid to the use of theme by contrasting glowing selected blocks with darkened disabled blocks. Well done.

The Shores of Adora Screenshot
The Shores of Adora

Judges were very impressed by the scope of this game, and all the features completed within the span of only a day. Ship movement is pleasing, the trading interface is easy to understand and use, the randomly generated maps and town names are impressive and fun, and the promise of combat is exciting. However, the game would frequently crash at random times, and would always crash during combat. No judge was able to play for more than a few minutes without a crash, and most of the time we weren't able to find a town willing to trade black spices before that happened. We all liked this game, and I, personally, would like to see it polished up so I can play it some more.

The Shores of Adora Screenshot
Colored Core

Of the three entries, this game offered the most fun right out of the box. You're a colored sphere, and you have to do physical battle with other colored spheres in an Arena. The whole thing reminds me of Tron, and I like how Orange55 played to DM's strengths to get a game finished and submitted before many people had even started theirs. Some of the purely visual effects at the start of the game caused stability issues, with one of the Judges being unable to play at all. It was otherwise a well structured and complete game. Use of theme was good, but the judges felt there could have been more depth, and reply value was low.

Western.io Screenshot
Honorable Mention but kinda not really: Western.io

MisterGoober dude... why didn't you submit your work in progress? You should submit your unfinished entries to contests - you never know what the judges might do. I've won two separate poetry contests because almost no one submitted. Just showing up is half the battle, because most people don't even get that far. Also, your mock-ups and concept art are amazing. Please polish that up and post it, I'd love to play it.

Pelican Screenshot
Pelican

I was given the theme of "Pelican" and I tried to make a game where you had a cargo (air)ship that could fly to six islands to trade six different resources. Seriously. Half way through the day I realized the scope was too big and I'd never finish, so I scrapped that idea and folded the resources into something where you tried to collect items laying around the forest to repair an old Airship... it wasn't fun. The end result was like someone giving you a bucket and asking you to clean up the Legos they spilled on a small rug.

Wrap Up

Thank you to everyone who submitted a game! If you worked on a project but didn't submit, why not post a screenshot or a small description in this thread?

I'll be distributing prizes tomorrow. Prize amounts will be slightly adjusted, because one of the contributors made their contribution on the condition that we had five or more submissions.

3rd Place: Orange55 (Colored Core)

Well damn. I was hoping I would place at least second. Oh well. There's always next year.

I would like you to gift me the highest tier membership my prize affords, and donate the rest of the money to BYOND in my honor.
Glad to hear the results! These games look cool! Hoping I'll be able to participate next year.
@Goober: Your mockups were amazing. It's what I was inspired by when I was making these mockups:

I looked at the themes for the contest and kind of worked out an 8-color palette from Iain's initial post:

It's pretty awful to work with, but the effect is really neat.
Are there any links for us to try out...?
In response to GreatPirateEra
GreatPirateEra wrote:
Are there any links for us to try out...?

Not sure about the rest, but you can try my entry (Colored Core) here
Page: 1 2 3 4