As a few already know, I've been working on a successor to SByIo (which was my input/output library that continued development until I decided to free it into the public domain). There were at least two prior attempts at this and didn't quite make the cut. The first was a webclient oriented library called "InOut Screen Web". How this worked was the fact it relied on HTML5's capabilities to provide input/output support, though it was never fully completed.
Due to the fact it would've been dependent on the webclient; that project is under hiatus. My second attempt some already know was my ImageIO library. Few actually remember this one being based off the concept of using image objects for creating entire HUDs. Unfortunately, I had hit a number of development issues that prevented any successful work on it. This attempt has since then been declared obsolete due to the introduction of vis_contents.
However, not all was lost as this marks my most recent and third attempt at making a successor to SByIo. In order to do that, I decided to scrap ImageIO (though I did transfer some code and even fonts to the new project) and start work on IOdine. Thought it would be clever to name it after an element (and an important nutrient :P) for this next successor. Unlike previous attempts, this one actually leverages the power of vis_contents. I actually attempted the same demo for bitmap font demonstration as ImageIO, but utilizing vis_contents instead. That was a complete success as I was able to get scaling to work properly on entire text using transform instead of having to do it character-by-character.
My goal is to bring back the great things about SByIo in regards to input and output, but in a much more modern fashion as well as being considerably faster. There is no indication of when it will be ready for release yet as I don't give dates, but instead give clues. Plus, there is a very good chance this library will be open sourced on the onset. I plan on pushing this library to greater heights than what was done previously on SByIo.
One thing I plan to do is make it more programmer friendly as a number did find certain releases of SByIo a bit tedious to work with. I will simplify the workload and ensure great performance at the same time. ;)
I might dedicate this thread for keeping track on IOdine's progress. I'll let y'all know when I have updates.
Sep 6 2018, 3:08 am