ID:2398887

Poll: Would you use natively packaged versions of BYOND on Linux?

Yup! 100% (16)

Login to vote.

I played with this a bit years ago, basically packaging the BYOND linux software up as RPMs, debs etc, along with all the usual service scripts you'd expect from native Linux software, to make hosting BYOND games on Linux a little more "standard" with how Linux works in general.

A lot of the issue mostly with it last time, aside from there being many many distributions to support and test for, was the somewhat manual (but scripted) nature of picking up new releases to populate into repositories.

However, I am kind of in need of a test project, and if the automation is set up properly, making packages for BYOND and hosting them in repositories (along with some basic documentation on usage) feels like quite a good project I could get my teeth into. I'd probably have my automation poll the BYOND download pages regularly, to automatically pick up new releases as they are made available there.

Likewise, I could probably produce some docker images for the Linux software, to help you more neatly host BYOND games cloud providers / kubernetes. A neat prospect for BYOND game hosting companies? (Although BYOND Panel I am sure has their own very tailored solution at this point :P).

Anyway, as a vanity project it kind of seems neat to me, so I will probably go for it anyway. But out of curiousity, would any of you guys be interested in using native packages? If so, what distributions of Linux would you be most interested in seeing packages for?
Personally, I use Ubuntu, Fedora, and Arch. Ubuntu is the most popular of the three, obviously, and the other two are pretty darn niche.

Honestly, I think that targetting Ubuntu alone would already be a huge win. :)
Thanks ATHK! I had a quick look, and holy-build-box seems a little more targeted at the compilation process, so perhaps something a little outside of what I can do? I have been pointed at AppImage https://appimage.org/ for the packaging side, and maybe if there's interest I'd do that.

The unfortunate thing with AppImage (and it's predecessors) is a kind of "chicken and egg" issue. You want a system like that to have lots of users, so that it's appealing to application packagers ... however you won't get lots of users until you have a big catalogue of packages.

So my feeling at the moment, is that sadly I can't avoid per-distribution packaging processes at least in the near-term. But still, automation will do the bulk of the work here!
Present targets will be Ubuntu, Fedora and Alpine (so I can do small docker images later). Will probably just do the latest of each, to prove out the plumbing first.

For interested parties, I will probably run the stuff on top of an Openshift cluster I have, and the sub-domains for distributions will be under *.danelaw co.uk as I happen to already have it.
For packaging on linux you could use snapcraft. https://snapcraft.io/
Any love for Centos? :D
No.
In response to Keeth
Keeth wrote:
No.

Dude. That's just, like, your opinion... and junk.
Do people even use snaps? I personally prefer PPAs using apt-get myself (Ubuntu/Debian)