ID:2399233

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Code:

Problem description:
This would have been a serious problem, if I had not decided to delete the .dk .int and .dyn.rsc files. I only deleted them because for some reason they just looked suspicious to me. I don't know how else to put it, or how I knew instinctively to delete those.

After they were deleted there was no more problem. Before deleting them, I first noticed certain objects now showing up in the object tree when I was using the dm map editor. Later I compiled, and ran the game and got errors them some of the object variables were undefined. Obviously the compiler overlooked this, because they were defined, but the map editor, and the game itself when it was running thought they didn't exist.

I know exactly what I did that caused it, I moved the /obj/item to a different dm file. I kept everything exactly the same, just in a different file, but it caused the problem I said above, until I deleted .lk .int and .rsc files.

Is this a common problem, or was I just unlocky to have ran into it? At least I was lucky enough to figure it out, but it still ate up a coupel hours of my time, and really had me going for a minute there.
Best response
The .lk file just exists to tell whether your rsc is locked or not. The .int file just keeps track of project-specific settings and what files you have open.

The .rsc file is your resource file, it's likely you ended up with some out-dated data in here and deleting it forced it to be regenerated.

Selecting "clean compile" will also do this.

Moving something from one file to another code-wise is generally fine, but if you do something like delete or move an icon without properly updating the definition it can make the compile start using the version of the icon inside of the rsc instead of looking for a local copy.

This is actually how certain things I've done allow people to do things like edit a map without needing all the raw dmi files, as long as they don't clean compile they'll be able to compile and edit the map with the rsc alone.
Does run use clean compile?
No.
I see. That was what I was doing wrong, using run without doing a clean compile first. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain this to me. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.