ID:2400323

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Problem description:

I've noticed for a while now, whenever I make a change to a skin element in my game, specifically window sizes, when a player logs in, their skin doesn't update to the new window.

They'll receive the new elements and the changes to the window, but the size will be wrong and they'll have to delete their skin folder before the game will correct the skin.

Is there a way to avoid this?
Yes there's a way to avoid this, rename the window.
winset(usr, null, "reset=true")

or modify the hidden saved-params parameter

see
http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/skinparams.html
Special .winset commands
Best response
To elaborate on SSX's post a bit; doing a reset=true will basically dump all of the user's saved parameters and start fresh. This usually isn't the most ideal thing because people like having things like sizing remembered for certain things.

The modification of the saved-params option in the dmf file is a good way to selectively include and exclude items from being saved at all. There's no interface for this in the interface editor (for some baffling reason, I've bugged Lummox about it a few times over the years), so you need to do it manually in a text editor like notepad.

The way it works is pretty self-explanatory once you see how it's setup in the dmf.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
To elaborate on SSX's post a bit; doing a reset=true will basically dump all of the user's saved parameters and start fresh. This usually isn't the most ideal thing because people like having things like sizing remembered for certain things.

The modification of the saved-params option in the dmf file is a good way to selectively include and exclude items from being saved at all. There's no interface for this in the interface editor (for some baffling reason, I've bugged Lummox about it a few times over the years), so you need to do it manually in a text editor like notepad.

The way it works is pretty self-explanatory once you see how it's setup in the dmf.

So I think I see what you're saying.

window "_picon"
elem "_picon"
type = MAIN
pos = 281,0
size = 585x125
anchor1 = none
anchor2 = none
background-color = #ededed
is-visible = false
saved-params = "pos;size;is-minimized;is-maximized"
title = "Player Icon.."
statusbar = false
can-minimize = false
can-resize = false

I need to change this line here...
saved-params = "pos;size;is-minimized;is-maximized"

To exclude the size tag and then the the player's skin wont save that params anymore and it will always revert to whatever the default size is on the skin on that particular version?
Yep.