ID:2402542

Resolved
Client ticks could lock up due to a problem with the animation of text mode "movies", even when not in text mode.
BYOND Version:512.1449
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 69.0.3497.100
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: The Game screen completely froze up and showing a single frame right after the peoples join and nothing more, while the chat screen is still online and active.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Update. Just a version update to 1449 made this trouble happen.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem: N/A

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time whenever join to the server.
In other games?
Even in other servers that use different codes, every all the servers.
In other user accounts?
Yes, it shows the same bug.
On other computers?
Updated to 1449 in the other computer, same trouble occurs.

When does the problem NOT occur? None.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
No. 1449's making this kind of bug. Possibly, version of 1449 has a serious trouble.

Workarounds:

Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Client ticks could lock up due to a problem with the animation of text mode "movies", even when not in text mode.
I wonder how many problems over the years are due to unseen text mode issues. This sounds a lot like the 15 year old screen freezing bug. It would be pretty funny if this was the cause all the time.
What happened here actually was that the new method of "ticking" text movies used a hash iterator that had some problems that only appeared in release mode.

I do however wonder if some kind of error scenario is happening in a similar place in the code, causing part of it to silently crash during the timer in such a way as to prevent rescheduling. Only thing is, there's no try/catch involved that I'm aware of.