ID:2406167
 
It's been a fixalicious week, with issues both new and old coming to light. I have a really good feeling about yesterday's 512.1454 release. Dealing with finding and fixing those bugs (especially the finding part), and some errant trees, took up most of the week.

Visual contents had a couple of odd issues, one of which has been with us for a while in this beta and was devilishly difficult to pin down. One of the recent beta builds introduced a problem with client color matrices. 1453's change to the Dream Maker object tree turned out to have a big flaw in it (oops). One major issue stuck around from the recent string refactor. And finally, I tracked down a very, very weird case of stack exhaustion stemming from a bug that apparently goes back many years but was never noticed because nobody screwed up their code that badly before.

With all that aside I've been pondering not just potential 513 stuff, but also some maybe nearer-term projects. I mentioned last week how I was thinking about showing some love to Dream Maker, and today I had an idea for the icon editor (although probably five or six people thought of it before me and I either didn't see or don't remember) that makes way too much sense. So I think I'm going to embark on a major renovation to the icon editor. I'll talk about that more on Patreon today.

Halloween is coming! You have less than two weeks to get your costumes together--and more important, your Halloween-themed BYOND games!
So I think I'm going to embark on a major renovation to the icon editor
+++++
YES!
And finally, I tracked down a very, very weird case of stack exhaustion stemming from a bug that apparently goes back many years but was never noticed because nobody screwed up their code that badly before.

Oh man, the person that reported that bug has gotta feel p bad right now.

Savage.
In response to Ter13
I'm not sure the reporter actually controlled the source. It might have been a temporary problem, caused either by having compiled the server in one of the versions that had the corrupted string tree (unlikely) or by changing a var to something completely nonsensical, likely as the result of a find/replace gone wrong.

Basically I can't see any way to have caused the issue without a major blow to server integrity or some kind of bizarre editing mistake that put the wrong value in the var. Although it's also possible if that var is loaded/changed at runtime, maybe it was read from a text file or something and that file got corrupted. Which then wouldn't be so much a code mistake as a server management problem.
I'd still love to see the icon editor as a standalone. It's my preferred editor for pixel art, even if the project isn't in DM. : )
In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
I'd still love to see the icon editor as a standalone. It's my preferred editor for pixel art, even if the project isn't in DM. : )

Aseprite is mine so far. :]
That would be cool, and could be a good alternative to be people outside the community. My friend whose working on some amazing models, is using alot of layering. separating everything such as legs, arms, head, shens, etc so he can do his animations at a much faster rate. He's currently using GIMP, but I'm thinking about getting him Spine or having him check out Blender. But Ivwould love to see the icon editor get more love. Especially if you can add any features that these pixel editing software have.
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
So I think I'm going to embark on a major renovation to the icon editor

Very cool. :)

Login to reply.