ID:241182

Redundant
BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic
Web Browser:Firefox 10.0
Applies to:Website

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Basically, the forum search is really lacking now, compared to its former iterations. Pre-update (or maybe longer than before that) the search tool seemed... a lot better. For example, I used to search 'author:popisfizzy tag' or 'author:popisfizzy enter' to bring up previous examples I've used on how to use tag and Entered together. Also, stuff like 'author:popisfizzy <dm>' will no longer bring up code.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Do a search.

Expected Results:
Useful results will appear.

Actual Results:
Non-useful results actually appear.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
I posted this as a feature request
In response to Falacy
Tom specifically requested I post this as a bug report, hence its presence here.
Yeah i saw Tom's comment regarding this, although i didn't use the old search much, The new search seems a lot more broader and relevant to what you post and what you comment on.

This kind of seems to fit feature request since it is to add something, unless Tom meant he didn't mean to loose those tags.

Anyway i did think the tags came in handy for various things!
On second thought.

I just tried: author:Teka123

In the top right search and it straight away brought up my 2 listed games.

This is generated from searching author:popisfizzy

http://www.byond.com/ forum/?command=top_search&text=author%3Apopisfizzy
Well, I'm discussing the forum search, not the site search, and it certainly seems to bring up as useful information as before. The only decent way I can look for old code to have people refer to is to manually search through my post history, and I have a lot of posts.
I just want to bring up that even though the search was changed, it still isn't producing as useful results as before the update. For example, searching for <dm> (which is incredibly useful for looking up previous code examples you know exist) produces no results.
That is because the new forum uses mysql vs the old forum which was hand-coded. The mysql is limiting search terms to three chars-- I believe we can change this but I'm not sure how well it would apply to old material, or if it would be too much work to back-update it. We might be able to come up with a workaround specifically for code search though.
Is there a possibility of being able to expand it to allow searching of post titles? That would alleviate an issue I've had in the past.
Ter13 resolved issue (Redundant)