ID:2414047

Resolved
Mousing over the icon sheet could cause "Encountered an improper argument" errors in some cases.
BYOND Version:512.1457
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 70.0.3538.110
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
On a fresh install, creating DMI files doesn't work; it crashes Dream Maker. I have reproduced this by creating new DMIs in an existing environment as well as in a new environment (see GIF)

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open Dream Maker.
2. File > New Environment...
3. Create a new environment.
4. At the prompt to create your first file, switch the file type to DMI and create it.
5. Behold.

Expected Results:

Create a DMI file. Or at least give me one error dialog. (Not infinite dialogs.)

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? N/A
On other computers? Don't know.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

Well, after Ctrl+Shift+Esc to kill DM, you can open the project again and your icon file was created with an empty icon state. So I guess to create 10 icons, the workaround is Create icon, crash, start DM, create icon, crash, ..., start DM, do work.

Upon opening an icon, and placing the mouse inside the space where the icons are, it causes an error to show saying "Encountered an improper argument." I am guessing it has to do with the mouse-over animation.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

It is really difficult to reproduce. For example, when dream maker crashes from the DEL bug, I would open it again and the icons causing the error previously would cease to, but other icons that worked before would now cause the error. I can't pinpoint the exact reason why.

Edit: It seems to happen all the time with icon files that have no states as well, as seen in this post addressing the same issue: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2414047

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Most times, but randomly.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Hard to say.

Workarounds:

To get around this, I keep the mouse pointer outside of the icon space, create a new icon state using the button above it, and use the arrow keys to navigate to the icon I want to edit and press Enter. I can't delete the new state though because of the above mentioned DEL bug.
In response to Claed
Really quick update from this post.

I wondered if this could have been a result of dealing with old icons files, so I decided to create a blank state in an icon that caused the error and save it. Since then, I've been going through numerous icons, even ones that created the error at this current time no longer do so.

Just leaving this here in case anyone else encounters this issue. I'll update if anything changes.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Upon closing and opening back Dream Maker, the error returns. I guess this could count as a workaround as well if it works a second time.
In response to Claed
Well this is annoying: this only happens in release mode for me--which makes it very difficult to debug!
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Mousing over the icon sheet could cause "Encountered an improper argument" errors in some cases.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Open Icon File, hover over page

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem: No Code

Expected Results: No prompt and ability to create icons

Actual Results: "Encountered An Improper Argument" prompts and

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?: Every Time
In other games?: N/A
In other user accounts?: N/A
On other computers?: I only have 1 computer

When does the problem NOT occur?: Only for Icon Files

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.): It did not occur in older versions.

Workarounds: I have hovered over only the create icon button and created a blank icon, the problem seems to fix or makes the app not respond and crash.

Example: https://i.imgur.com/1ybU2Il.gifv

Additional Notes:I apologize if I did something stupid to make this happen or if it has been fixed, if there is a fix please provide me the correct path to find it. Thank you!