ID:2414944

BYOND Version:512.1454
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 52.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Unless TILE_BOUNDS is set on an atom its expected that if you can see any of the turfs it overlaps the atom will also be visible. Testing however shows that this is only sometimes the case.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Place an atom on a hidden turf with it's step offset causing it to overlap a visible turf

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fnuiepy63da7la/ byond%20Shifted%20Visibility.zip?dl=1
Once you launch it hit the "do visibility test" verb

Expected Results:
Able to see the atom when you can see any turf that has the atom inside the turf's contents (unless TILE_BOUNDS is set)
Actual Results:
Unable to see the atom when you cant see the actual loc unless you first set pixel offset to something ~>20 and then view the atom's loc.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
Likely every one, tested in a full game, and 2 barebones projects
In other user accounts?
Did not test
On other computers?
Did not test

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
A quick test with 511 shows that it also happens there, however unlike with 512 the messing with pixel offsets and viewing the loc will not suddenly allow you to see it when you cant see the actual loc.
Interestingly, when I repeat the visibility test the guy who isn't visible the first time around is visible now. Probably this has to do with him or his turf being marked as out-of-normal-bounds at some point, but I'm not sure.

I'll look into it, although I'm not sure if it's a fixable situation. Opacity doesn't really mix well with step offsets, being designed for a time long before they existed. Still it seems 512 already has better behavior than 511 in this regard, so we'll see.
Thanks, I suspect this is the root of some recent issues Ive been running into where the transform and plane on objects that you can see due to size/offset/etc... that are on turfs you cant see are just ignored at times.
I'm not sure I can really call this a bug, at least not based on what I'm seeing. It looks like the other mob merely doesn't move far enough to trigger the idea that it's on another tile. Opacity just wasn't meant to mix with pixel movement to this degree. Might be something to revisit at some point but I don't want it to hold up the 512 release.