ID:2415150

At this point, the icon editor upgrade is basically complete. I've addressed a number of feature requests for it, and the kinks appear to have been worked out. (Cue weekend bug reports!) So I'm getting back to Dream Seeker and the core stuff for the near future.

For quite a while now I had been meaning to finish up implementing 512 stuff in the webclient before closing 512, but lately I've been thinking: I don't really need to do that. The webclient is after all still technically a beta feature and I think users would largely prefer some other significant upgrades that have been on the docket for 513. The time I've spent working on the icon editor, while fruitful and I think very important, also didn't see a lot of releases. So I think it makes sense at this point to leave the webclient aside for a while longer, and get 512 ready to finalize as the new stable release.

This means it's almost new feature time! I've previously discussed some ideas for 513 here and on Patreon, but what do you want to see?

The possibility of switching to Unicode is very high on my list, although I think I'll have to redo quite a bit or maybe even all of the work I did in that department already (none of it wasted though, since it led to the very important string refactor and will make a redo of that work so much quicker).

Also something people have been wanting is more maptext flexibility. Links? Yes, please. Scrolling, and the ability to cut text off instead of having it not appear at all? Yes and yes. Measuring, via talking to the client, how much space is required for text? Yes!

So the roadmap from here is to get 512 ready by taking care of a few last-minute bug reports and whatnot, release 512 as stable which I expect to happen before Christmas, handle the inevitable slew of new bug reports from users who didn't update until 512 became the new stable build, and then jump full-bore into 513 goodies. This is the time for new built-in procs that require new instructions; this is the time for new language features (although hoo boy, 512 had a slew of those, didn't it?); this is when to suggest things that require server-client communication.

If you're not a Member yet, please consider becoming one to help support the platform and keep all this cool new development going. Your support is really important. Thanks also to the donors and Patrons who've been such a part of that as well. Hope your pre-holiday preparations are going well, and you're psyched for a great Christmas and the new year!
Moving ahead towards having wasm as a compilation target seems better than having to constantly think of updating another client, even if it takes more time to get there.

My vote goes on doing what you find more difficult and more usable. Hexagonal map would be nice also.
First of all I would like to apologize for my English, but I would love to see something like this in the future: Add a way to display certain entity over an existing one, but at the same time, if you animate it and it goes outside of it's bounds, cut the icon automatically. I would really love to have some animations in order to hide/display different stuff, but I either have to make it quite simplistic, or make it so that you see the entity that is disappearing going outside of the window, which ruins the effect a bit.

Something like this could be applied for a lot of more effects, and make UI a lot more professional. Perhaps we could have a new appearance_flag that cuts the icon once it goes outside of the vis_loc icon bounds? Not sure how this could work, but it would be fantastic.
In response to ArmitxeX
Sounds like you're asking for masking, which has been requested a lot. See here and here.
Something entirely not related to the BYOND client: the website. It could use some TLC and a little attention could certainly make it much more appealing to a more mature crowd.
The website fails to ever return Search results on these forums. I have to go to Google and hope I can find threads. Needs tons of work to be honest.
I'd like to see improvements to the Dream Maker map editor.

Mostly, I'd like map editing to be easier and faster without having to use as many pop-up menus (so, easier to perform more actions just with clicking, while holding a keyboard key if necessary).

In the Dream Maker map editor's Edit/New Instance window, I think there should be an easier way to get into it when clicking on the map itself (so as to modify already placed mobs/objs into new instances). Perhaps holding a certain key while clicking on a mob/object could automatically open the Edit/New Instance window. Or, perhaps there could be an "edit instance" checkbox somewhere, perhaps at the bottom of the map editor's Object pane.

In the map editor's New Instance window, I also would like a way to have any mob/obj variable be hidden (currently I do my best to name my variables I care about to show up at the top of the list, but being able to hide any variable, perhaps with a statement in the mob/obj's code or perhaps with the UI, would be better).

Also in the New Instance window, the option of having variables containing arrays show each member of the array on its own line, or some other method of more clearly seeing multiple variables at once, would be nice. Currently, to have the variable's content in a more visible list, it is necessary to have multiple variables with unique names so that they all show up in a row.

In similar manner of simplification of the New Instance window, I'd like to be able to specify in the code that certain variables, when viewed in the New Instance window, should always assume a certain prefix and/or suffix. I would use this to make including quotes "" for string variables optional in the New Instance window, and to make variables containing icon names include ' as a prefix and .dmi' as a suffix, so only the icon's name itself is necessary. This would be a feature that could allow people using lots of instances to really clean up that Edit/New Instance window.

As you can see, I think the Edit/New Instance window has a lot of potential mostly untapped by many game designers using Dream Maker, and having it be easier to use may help various games that use this feature to speed up development.

Generally, these are improvements that I think would help with designers who are making unique maps and unique mobs/objs. Such improvements would be a boon to RPG development on BYOND, as well as other genres that require lots of level design.
In response to Woo
Woo wrote:
I'd like to see improvements to the Dream Maker map editor.

Mostly, I'd like map editing to be easier and faster without having to use as many pop-up menus (so, easier to perform more actions just with clicking, while holding a keyboard key if necessary).

In the Dream Maker map editor's Edit/New Instance window, I think there should be an easier way to get into it when clicking on the map itself (so as to modify already placed mobs/objs into new instances). Perhaps holding a certain key while clicking on a mob/object could automatically open the Edit/New Instance window. Or, perhaps there could be an "edit instance" checkbox somewhere, perhaps at the bottom of the map editor's Object pane.

In the map editor's New Instance window, I also would like a way to have any mob/obj variable be hidden (currently I do my best to name my variables I care about to show up at the top of the list, but being able to hide any variable, perhaps with a statement in the mob/obj's code or perhaps with the UI, would be better).

Also in the New Instance window, the option of having variables containing arrays show each member of the array on its own line, or some other method of more clearly seeing multiple variables at once, would be nice. Currently, to have the variable's content in a more visible list, it is necessary to have multiple variables with unique names so that they all show up in a row.

In similar manner of simplification of the New Instance window, I'd like to be able to specify in the code that certain variables, when viewed in the New Instance window, should always assume a certain prefix and/or suffix. I would use this to make including quotes "" for string variables optional in the New Instance window, and to make variables containing icon names include ' as a prefix and .dmi' as a suffix, so only the icon's name itself is necessary. This would be a feature that could allow people using lots of instances to really clean up that Edit/New Instance window.

As you can see, I think the Edit/New Instance window has a lot of potential mostly untapped by many game designers using Dream Maker, and having it be easier to use may help various games that use this feature to speed up development.

Generally, these are improvements that I think would help with designers who are making unique maps and unique mobs/objs. Such improvements would be a boon to RPG development on BYOND, as well as other genres that require lots of level design.