ID:2422562

Redundant
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
http://prntscr.com/m7oqr1

When you view an icon size that's not 8, 16, 32, 64, etc...
Sometimes it appears blurry, but always messed up like the link above, hurts my eyes. I feel like this is one of the key things holding BYOND back. We should tackle these key weaknesses and move forward. If there is a way around this please god show me.
According to the Skin Reference, Map elements have a "zoom-mode" parameter which you can set to either "normal", "distort", or "blur".

It defaults to "normal", which is to scale up to the nearest whole integer using nearest neighbor (what it uses in "distort" mode) and then use bilinear sampling (what it uses in "blur" mode) to scale down to the exact size.

Your screenshot looks as if your map was changed to use "distort" mode, or you're using a very outdated version of BYOND where "distort" was the default (or your graphics hardware mode is disabled, which can cause tons of glitches). Here's what it's supposed to look like:

At 1.5x zoom:
normal:
distort:
blur:

All that said, I'd just recommend going with whole integer scaling. It looks better in all zoom-modes.
In response to Kaiochao
But the whole integer scaling isn't flexible enough. For some games icons, it's either really small and far away, and than when you use x64 you don't see enough of the screen to get immersed.

We need something that looks good and that's flexible.

In the skin reference where is the normal option?
In response to Vladimirbutin
In the big chart at the top of the skin reference, under the Map column, there's a zoom-mode parameter listed, along with a short description and possible values it can take. It's also at the bottom of the "Parameters in detail" chart.

Parameters can be set via winset in the usual way.
In response to Kaiochao
thanks
Kaiochao resolved issue (Redundant)
Well, would still be nice if it looked good at any icon size but w.e...

If that's not possible you could just hit me with a not feasible.
In response to Vladimirbutin
I'm still not seeing anything that actually looks bad. Do you have screenshots of what the different zoom-modes look like for you? Your original screenshot is definitely not what it should look like, so there may be a bug involved. Also, make sure that graphics hardware mode is enabled in your client preferences.
In response to Kaiochao
That graphics hardware mode thing, I never uncheck or check it. It stays checked. The only time I unchecked it was to see if it would change anything. I don't know anyone who plays with that.

The game I'm working on usually does blurr if I go into the dmf file and edit the maps icon size to anything else other than the usual integers of 32. I'm going for something in-between 32 - 64, those are decent sized icon sizes but it shows up blurry. Literally hurts my eyes, based off what you siad here it helps give me an understanding of what's going on. I guess I'll try to winset it to normal to see what happens but if my hunch is right. Help.

winset(usr,"main.map","icon-size=36")
winset(usr,"main.map","zoom-mode=normal")

Still very blurry to the point my eyes are hurting.