ID:2424065

Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
can-scroll
As it is now, the multi-line input control is basically useless, and isn't user friendly at all. This is because, at least on my end, scrolling is nonexistent for this control. A scrollbar never shows up like it does for the output control, so the only way to see all of the text is to use the Page Up and Page Down keys or move the text cursor past the visible edge.

Technically, you can force a scrollbar by placing the input inside of a pane and resizing the pane and the input beyond the height of the parent window, as needed, but there is no way to accurately determine how many lines a text string will take up for a given font, especially with the word wrapping. Softcoded dynamic resizing results in slow, glitching, and inconsistent scrolling behavior, which is a far cry from how fluid the scrolling is in controls with native support.

For these reasons, I am requesting an actual can-scroll parameter that applies to input controls if they are multi-line. It should use the same format as the existing can-scroll that applies to panes.

For consistency, I think scrolling should also be made optional for output controls.

text-wrap
With a can-scroll parameter for inputs and outputs, I think it only makes sense to give them a text-wrap parameter as well; borrowing the name used with labels. I would think that the word wrapping is just an optional feature of the input and output controls, so it might just be as simple as exposing the option to BYOND.

Conclusion
These can-scroll and text-wrap parameters would go well together, because they each make the other far more useful.

The input control doesn't need to be a rich-text editor, but basic scrolling support and word wrapping that can be disabled would be a huge improvement. Without these features, it would be best to just abandon multi-line inputs in favor of browser controls, and all of the complexity that they come with, even if a more lightweight solution would be preferred. The same could be said for output controls, in cases where you don't want word wrapping.