ID:2425649

Brr!

This week development has continued its split between 512 and 513, but with a little more focus on the latter. I have a few bug minor fixes in place for 512, and I think I might do a release either later today or maybe over the weekend.

The Unicode stuff has been progressing really well. I'm not into the stage where I make changes on the backend language stuff yet, but I'm very close. This week I had to change the skin parser because winset commands couldn't handle Unicode (sent to the backend and back to the frontend via UTF-8), had to make changes to the HTML parser, had to run a bunch of experiments on the output control, and also required research.

The output control was a pain because Microsoft's richedit control is apparently buggy when it comes to certain characters. Trying to output an emoji caused the font to change if any text followed it, and subsequent lines would print every character as a line break instead of a real character, causing blank space to build up, until some styling changed a couple times and text reappeared. I had to go to great lengths to deal with that.

But the good news is I have emojis appearing in the output control, and I was able to set a label to use an emoji in its text via winset. The bad news: they're in monochrome. Apparently I have to use a different method of text rendering to display emojis in full color, so that will have to be a later upgrade (probably during the 513 beta, not after) once I've done the necessary research. The bigger deal is supporting other languages' characters, anyway.

For remaining frontend stuff I've just made some changes to the syntax-highlighting editor control in DM to be encoding-aware, so that has to go through some testing, and then I think I'll be ready to move on to some compiling tests, pager tests, and finally the backend.

Thanks everyone who pitched in in January to help support BYOND, whether as a Member, donor, or via Patreon. Also it seems SubscribeStar is finally ready to go, so if you'd rather use that that works too. I'm doing more of a short-form journaling approach with my posts over there.

Are you ready for some football? I don't have a party to go to this year so I'm gonna live it up at home. This means there won't be as much food, but oh well. I'll be rooting against the Patriots as usual, because screw the Patriots. And watch out tomorrow for repeating time loops; if you get caught in one remember to learn and practice everything you can, so when it spits you out you're awesome.
Next up, emoji support for the web site. 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈
lummox youre a shitty dev
Hey I don't know if it's weird caching or what but when I'm not logged in there's still a post on this thread throwing shade at you Lummox.

On the plus side, at least you Bills fans have some hope in Josh Allen?
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Hey I don't know if it's weird caching or what but when I'm not logged in there's still a post on this thread throwing shade at you Lummox.

Pretty sure this is a global forum thing. All shadow banned users are visible to people logged out - for some reason.

In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
Airjoe wrote:

Pretty sure this is a global forum thing. All shadow banned users are visible to people logged out - for some reason.

Shadowbanned users and guests can see the posts of shadowbanned users, but regular users are graciously spared from their garbage. The very few people who are shadowbanned live in their own world anyway, so it doesn't hurt to let them live in that world together. It's mostly the same user that has been persistently doing the same thing for going on a decade and a half now anyway, so basically even then it's mostly just that user yelling to nobody in particular.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Crazah wrote:
Airjoe wrote:

Shadowbanned users and guests can see the posts of shadowbanned users, but regular users are graciously spared from their garbage. The very few people who are shadowbanned live in their own world anyway, so it doesn't hurt to let them live in that world together. It's mostly the same user that has been persistently doing the same thing for going on a decade and a half now anyway, so basically even then it's mostly just that user yelling to nobody in particular.

The unfortunate side effect is that nobody registered knows what a guest may see when viewing a topic. It can make for some poor community optics.
In response to Crazah
Crazah wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
Crazah wrote:
Airjoe wrote:

The unfortunate side effect is that nobody registered knows what a guest may see when viewing a topic. It can make for some poor community optics.

To play devil's advocate, it's better to see a community with a bad egg or two than see a community constantly derailed by their shenanigans.

Login to reply.