ID:2434954

So, I'm sure you've been getting this question a lot so here goes.

Regarding Lummox JR's post found here: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1493525#comment8839557

1. Windows 8.1, IE 11 (I'd usually be using Chrome)
2. Kaspersky, no
3. Nothing seems out of the ordinary
4. Pager takes me to > Custom, in which is a pagerhome.html. This looks like a blank home screen. Chromes CPU does not go up when open.
5. localhub.db is 34 kb. Renaming it does not change anything, deleting the other files did nothing.
6. No

I'll also mention that, when downloading BYOND on my laptop, it worked first try. Unsure why.

I also don't have any unusual language locales or ascii characters.
I've also checked out the root directory and nothing was working.
The update I posed earlier didnt go through so hey.

I downloaded byond on my laptop and it ran perfectly. There were differences in the files, mainly in that 'cache' and 'pager' were gone.

The cfg folder was missing localhub.db and its files.

My pc is now at the same state as my laptop, but I am still having the above problem.
Update again:

The folders that are missing above have been put on my desktop. Not sure why.

I'm logging off for the day, it is 10:05 in Australia and I'm getting up early tomorrow.

See you tomorrow to anyone who replies.
For BYOND to work properly on your laptop it should have the cache and pager directories somewhere. The question is where that directory is.

What's the full BYOND user directory on your system?

This is gonna be a difficult case to suss out I think because you've already checked for the two obvious causes: locale and weird characters in your path. But it'd still be good to have that info.
In response to Lummox JR
Thansk for the response
I left the BYOND launcher thing on overnight and it is still on 'Loading Live games from BYOND Hub', with a bar on 100% down the bottom.

C:\Users\ryanm\BYOND\bin\byond.exe

Thats the bath to my bin folder.

My cache is at E:\Users\Mun\Desktop
any my pager is at E:\Users\Mun\Desktop

Well this is probably the problem (?)
Should I put both of them inside the BYOND folder or leave them as is?
In response to Lummox JR
Also might as well post the laptop path

From what I can immediately see, there is no cache or pager folder along the way this path

C:\Users\ryanm\BYOND
Found the other files on my laptop. They are in a BYOND folder in my documents, which I didn't put there. Will try moving my PC files there when I get home.
The BYOND installation should not be in C:\Users\ryanm\BYOND unless you wanted it there; it's normally in C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND instead.

The user data directory is usually in Documents\BYOND, which is automatically created by the installer. The desktop path, especially being on a different drive and in a different user's folder, would indeed cause a problem (and even more so if it's a mounted network drive, although BYOND tries to balk at that and reset).

I would recommend moving your user data from the desktop to Documents\BYOND.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The BYOND installation should not be in C:\Users\ryanm\BYOND unless you wanted it there; it's normally in C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND instead.

The user data directory is usually in Documents\BYOND, which is automatically created by the installer. The desktop path, especially being on a different drive and in a different user's folder, would indeed cause a problem (and even more so if it's a mounted network drive, although BYOND tries to balk at that and reset).

Yeah I specifically put it there because that was the path my laptop used, which worked.

Not sure why it would have put those files loose on the desktop; I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home.

Thank you for the help

In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Moved everything to where it is supposed to be, made sure that my folders were not read only, have checked the registry and everything still seems right, yet it still isn't working.

I've got no idea what it could be

This is puzzling. But out of curiosity, what does the registry info say? (I only want to know userpath and installpath if present, nothing else.)

Have you checked on the folder permissions, as well? Is it possible something is set incorrectly and BYOND is physically unable to create/access files where it needs to?