ID:254163

Keywords: hosting, linux, putty
(See the best response by Flame Sage.)
So, I decided to build my own server to host my game rather then paying for a server. So I built it, installed Xubuntu setup remote connect and downloaded byond, everything was going good. However i ran into a huge issue when it came to host my game for some reason linux did not want to run DreamDaemon.

So after 14 hours of fiddling and 2 different OS of linux trying to run this game finally somehow i get it working.

Now here is my problem. I am remotely connected to the server with putty and I am hosting the game however once i host the game i lost all control. I cant enter any new commands into putty and if i close putty the server itself closes.

Usually i would be able to type in exit into putty and it would close however this is no longer the case. Anyway its sorta becoming a growing issue because i cant restart my main pc without the server closing. Anyone ever encountered this problem before? or have any clues to work around it?
Best response
This is easily accomplished by appending the command line to be run in the background with an ampersand "&".
thank you i saw that i missed that.
I don't think it's referenced anywhere in the help file?
Anyway, if you're looking to do more Linux tricks, take a look here:
http://linuxcommand.org/
Another way to do it is by just using a screen.

screen
./DreamDaemon game.dmb [port]
CTRL+A + D

If I remember correctly.