ID:258068

Well,i've just created my first base and a lot is wrong with it.This is just an outline,if it's not obvious,for now so I can have the outline looking decent before I begin to shade it in.Help would be appreciated..Thanks in advance.

Photobucket
Ok, I'll take a shot at this:

1. Try starting with a 32x32 base before trying to make something larger.

2. You want to get a decent shaped head first. A good width for a head (to me) is 9 pixels wide. It gives you enough space for eyes, while not having the face end where the eyes end like you have going on with yours.

3. Try not making the body so wide unless, of course, you're trying to make the base fat. If not, let's try making those arms skinnier as well as the body frame. Take a couple pixels off.

4. To be honest, however you saved the base as a screenshot, it looks pretty badly distorted so I can't fully tell how many pixels wide/tall each body part is. Try saving it again without zooming or whatever you did that resulted in the distortion and I can provide you with better assistance.
Alright,I took your advice and here's my updated base.

Photobucket
In response to Kyuubi_Cedric
A couple things.

1. Try to make the head comes to a point where the chin is.

2. Eyes are too far apart. Mostly because head is to wide, make the eyes 1 pixel apart.

3. Add some ears.

4. IDK, this is just an opinion, the legs should be closer, and the foot should be showing, looks like pants are over his feet.

5. Lastly, arms should be by sides.
In response to XxJUICExX
Alright,I did everything you suggested except adding ears and making the eyes 1 pixel apart.When I do that,it just looks wierd.Thanks for the help,:).

Photobucket
Kyuubi_Cedric wrote:
Alright,I did everything you suggested except adding ears and making the eyes 1 pixel apart.When I do that,it just looks wierd.Thanks for the help,:).

Photobucket

It looks weird when you move the eyes because your base has no middle (It's an even number wide), so there's no 1px width to separate the eyes. Also your head is a cirlce instead of a oval.

There's nothing really nothing wrong with the fact that your base has no middle, but it will bring up challenges down the line.
In response to AmonR
Okay,it is now middled and I think it looks a lot better.I suppose I'll start with the shading now.

Photobucket
Very nice ^^. Looks really original, and a new style. If you need help with shading, I'll be glad to help.
In response to XxJUICExX
Alright,here's my first attempt at shading it.I couldn't find any good colors so it doesn't look well,and I just noticed that the head is a bit messed up,but it seems impossible to fix.

Photobucket
Here is a one of my tips for heads, you don't have to use it. When I make my heads I make them a pixel row lower than directally above the shoulders. It will look weird but when you get to shading you can color over the neck peice to make it look like a neck and not a line. When you do get to shading you don't want to just put random shades all around the mob/base. Pick a light source of where, say the sun, was pointing onto the base. You might want to make the shoulders more.. manly. Shoulders come out almost straight out of the neck... they normally don't slope down.

Neck example:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/Demonthought/help.png

Shading example:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/Demonthought/ help2.png
(My light source is coming from the East)

R;120 G:61 B:0 & R:106 G:55 B:0 are pretty close in color. You might want to pick something darker and/or lighter.
In response to Akto
Akto wrote:
Here is a one of my tips for heads, you don't have to use it. When I make my heads I make them a pixel row lower than directally above the shoulders. It will look weird but when you get to shading you can color over the neck peice to make it look like a neck and not a line. When you do get to shading you don't want to just put random shades all around the mob/base. Pick a light source of where, say the sun, was pointing onto the base. You might want to make the shoulders more.. manly. Shoulders come out almost straight out of the neck... they normally don't slope down.

Neck example:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/Demonthought/help.png

Shading example:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/Demonthought/ help2.png
(My light source is coming from the East)

R;120 G:61 B:0 & R:106 G:55 B:0 are pretty close in color. You might want to pick something darker and/or lighter.

For a base that small, dithering isnt necessary, It will clutter the base.
In response to Legendary Goku 10
True. It didn't look right but I was trying to get across that he shouldn't randomly put different shades just any where.

~Akto