ID:258103

Well, as you can see I have created a new base. I think it looks farely well, accept the porpotions look off. Which is mostly what I need help in, tips on shading and what not would be helpful as well.
Photobucket
I like although the body looks wierd.
In response to Heyya46
What's weird about it?
I dunno, maybe there are too many lines or it's too buff don't you think?
First off, the head is awkward. The ears don't look right, and it's too big for the body. That, and the body(excluding the head) is pillow shaded.
In response to Disturbed Puppy
What's awkward about the head? And the base looks like something one would see in an anime game which, if that's the case, the size of the head is fine. In almost every anime, the head is usually larger than it should be in comparison to a normal human body. Not to mention, if he made the head smaller, the face would lack details. It looks fine in my opinion. Pillow shading doesn't always look bad.

Meh, well you have your opinion. My personal opinion is that it's a good looking base. Doesn't really look weird or awkward to me.
I agree with you. Also, it's not neccecarly pillow shading. Just shading to show muscles, and depth. Considering light means close, dark means further. And, If I made head smaller, eyes would be litteraly 1 pixel. Also, I have an edited version I haven't posted. It's head is more rounded at the top, new pallete, and shaded arms and legs differently. More muscular looking now.

*edit* Also, bulkier shoulders.
In response to XxJUICExX
Yeah, I noticed after zooming in that the base isn't necessarily pillow shaded. Both sides of the base (when split in half) would be a reflection of the other if that was the case, and it's not.
In response to XxJUICExX
The dark prince majin vegeta wrote:
Pillow shading doesn't always look bad.

Yes, it does.

XxJUICExX wrote:
I agree with you. Also, it's not neccecarly pillow shading. Just shading to show muscles, and depth. Considering light means close, dark means further. And, If I made head smaller, eyes would be litteraly 1 pixel. Also, I have an edited version I haven't posted. It's head is more rounded at the top, new pallete, and shaded arms and legs differently. More muscular looking now.

*edit* Also, bulkier shoulders.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html
In response to XxJUICExX
You can do all of that without pillow shading though, and it would look more natural. Go find a picture of Arnold back in his earlier days, and look how the light reflects off of him(back when he was a body builder). Also, you should never paste one side of the base to the other(the complete base, the shape is fine to paste). The two sides shouldn't be identical. You asked for tips on shading, and I'm just trying to help :\

PS: can you put up a picture of the new base? the reason the head looks funny to me may just be the palette you used.
In response to Heyya46
lol, good base

though im not really a fan of the colours used

also the base is pretty Buff and seems to be stabbing himself with alot of steroids, compared to his legs

and to the head thing, i think its the width of it though its not that major

and anime has some realism to it, they don't all have super heads that bloody over weigh their own body, whoever said that should get out of chibi
In response to Cowqueefer
I wasn't referring to chibi, nor do I watch animes with chibi characters, thank you very much.
no thanking needed, i've never seen an anime where the head doesn't fit the body (that isn't to say the hair isn't exaggerated to bloody hell)
Cowqueefer wrote:
no thanking needed, i've never seen an anime where the head doesn't fit the body (that isn't to say the hair isn't exaggerated to bloody hell)

Last I checked, a child's head isn't supposed to be just as large as his torso. You were saying?

*Back on topic*

At any rate, as I said before, I think the size of the head is fine. To make it smaller would be to leave out the little bit of detail that's even possible and have the eyes to close to each other which would make the base look funny.
Considering i don't watch much mainstream animes

DBZ would be a phail for me and thats just another reason why

also, that doesn't seem too big, considering his yelling and his jaws stretched out

Mouth closed and his head is still as large as his torso.
Typically, [non-chibi] anime characters are drawn 5-6 heads tall (Teen-Adult), or 4-5 heads tall (Kids). Unless the height of the character is extreme/exaggerated, while realistic human drawings stand 6-8 heads tall.

But none of that has anything to do with a 32x32 base, where you gotta roll with what works.