ID:258191

I'm having trouble shading bases. Well not trouble, but I'm learning. Here's my latest.

You may edit so i can practice from it or give comment :D.

Thanks,
SaikonX
Here are my edits.

The legs look really weird so i change them to look more natural. I also edited the body to make it look more relaxed and proportional. I change the skin pallet, because his skin looked dull. I edited it also with a light source, like most of my work I do. I do the light source from an angle, coming from the right or the left. In the light source you'll see white spots, that's not missing pixels its part of the pallet. Its to get that more of a shine effect, due to the shades on the pallet i used.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By Redbutton12
In response to Redbutton
Wow Thanks. Add my MSN = [email protected]

Maybe I'll need a few tips while iconning ;0
In response to Redbutton
Theres some bad points there though...

1). Try not to use your outline to shade things, unless its blending

2). Thats too light in some spots and there is no lower shade color, so it makes it seem like there are more than one light source on him

3). The perspective is off, the head is tilted down alot, but the body isn't at all, making him look like his head is facing down and he's an emo kid everyone hates and throws rotten apples at, so then he cuts his wrists and kills himself then you get blamed and half to go to jail where LG10 touches you in places you want to be touched.

4). His chest and such don't need an outline unless he can bend a car with his boobs, or is a girl.

5). Usually black pants don't have white/light gray on them, nor do gray pants.

6). You also could try softening the outlines on parts where it would be lighter, kinda like an advanced selective outlining.

7). Unless this guy is covered in oil there really shouldn't be pure white spots on him.

8). Your arms length down to your mid-thigh, and they usually hand over/to the side of your legs, not in back.

9). Try messing around with his foot stance, usually your feet don't stick straight out like your a penguin ^^.

10). Also, a rule of shading...: Anything that casts a shadow, must be light at where it casts, so say you can't really have random dark shades, there must be light shades at where the light gets blocked making it dark there.

11). And unless your guy is an alien raise the eyes up a bit, or make them disappear, cause if you have your head straight down like that you wont see your eyes.

12). Don't double outline, wear the pants meet his waist, you have two different outlines making it seem very dark, you should only have one.

Note: This was all towards RedButton's edit, which I was looking at since its probably going to be the choice he uses, this post was directed towards RedButton and SSJ Dark Trunks.

So it was like a double crit ^^.
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
Theres some bad points there though...

1). Try not to use your outline to shade things, unless its blending

Been there people don't like that especially on a 32 x 32 base that is a quick fix/edit.

2). Thats too light in some spots and there is no lower shade color, so it makes it seem like there are more than one light source on him

Light sourcing there is very light spots and some dark. Gives it more depth into the total art work. This is especially Good for 32 x 32 base icons. It was early so i didn't go real deep into light source.

3). The perspective is off, the head is tilted down alot, but the body isn't at all, making him look like his head is facing down and he's an emo kid everyone hates and throws rotten apples at, so then he cuts his wrists and kills himself then you get blamed and half to go to jail where LG10 touches you in places you want to be touched.

4). His chest and such don't need an outline unless he can bend a car with his boobs, or is a girl.

There i no real out line just to show where the chest and stomach separate, With out it it would just look like the whole body is just flat with no depth at all.

5). Usually black pants don't have white/light gray on them, nor do gray pants.

Gray pants to have white spots. Just depends on the gray. every time i do a edit or piece of art its about depth especially in a 32x32 2d sense. With out depth it just looks flat played out with the same recycled stuff to be added to bases. there is only so much you can do with a 32x32 base including depth a White spot while making light source is good with some styles and some with not. Note my other base icon edits. with light source.

6). You also could try softening the outlines on parts where it would be lighter, kinda like an advanced selective outlining.

Fast edit with just the basics he is trying to help his shading, I just fixed and showed him why his body look weird.

7). Unless this guy is covered in oil there really shouldn't be pure white spots on him.

Oil has nothing to do with it some people just have that natural skin complexity. Everyone is different just because one person has a certain feature such as skin tone and stuff doesn't mean every one will have it.

8). Your arms length down to your mid-thigh, and they usually hand over/to the side of your legs, not in back.

Fast edit, just showing a few stuff not all of it he needs to figure stuff out for himself too.

9). Try messing around with his foot stance, usually your feet don't stick straight out like your a penguin ^^.

32x32 is way different when doing anatomy. You gotta cut some stuff and do things a certain way.

10). Also, a rule of shading...: Anything that casts a shadow, must be light at where it casts, so say you can't really have random dark shades, there must be light shades at where the light gets blocked making it dark there.

I didn't want to go real deep with the edits. Explaining every single thing since it is in the show room. No pixel in my edit is randomly placed. Fast edits, half technique at 5:00 in the morning.

11). And unless your guy is an alien raise the eyes up a bit, or make them disappear, cause if you have your head straight down like that you wont see your eyes.

12). Don't double outline, wear the pants meet his waist, you have two different outlines making it seem very dark, you should only have one.

Double outlineing in 32x32 is to make it look relaxed. anything bigger on a base icon makes it looked like it is either a guy looking solid and stiff.
Note: This was all towards RedButton's edit, which I was looking at since its probably going to be the choice he uses, this post was directed towards RedButton and SSJ Dark Trunks.

So it was like a double crit ^^.

I am not the one you should be criting since it is not my topic. I only took time before I went to sleep if you look at my post time it was 5:00 in the morning. To help his techniques a little and teach him some new stuff he needed.

But most of all, all techniques on shading and anatomy is more personal preference just because you see how you want to see things, the person who is not asking for C&C likes them the way they have it. Don't consider this a personal attack it's just a response to unwanted criticism about work done at 5:00am.

On a side note maybe posting pictures on what your talking about would help him more. Just saying it he would only assume what your talking about.
In response to Redbutton
I think he meant more or less to go for this..

In response to Redbutton
I didn't say you had to answer to everything, and I didn't say it was all your fault, it was his base, and your edit, so I still had to crit it either way since he would most likely go off or try to style it with your edit.

If your complaining about you making it at 5 in the morning then don't make them ^^, noone chooses what time you do things, and I know it was a quick edit like most everything is on here, I was just giving him advice. Also some stuff you posted against my crits were wrong, but this topic isn't about you.

SSJ if you'd like me to make an edit about what i'm talking about feel free to say so, I just think its better to try out by saying what you need to do so you can do it, before I visually show(Which is worse for learning, since you can copy and all that stuff...).
In response to Redbutton
You need to soften the outline.
Also, the way you're adding specular highlights works great on a bald head, but not so great on a body unless the guy's oiled up or something. Same with the pants, you're making the pants look shiny (@ RedButton).
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
I didn't say you had to answer to everything, and I didn't say it was all your fault, it was his base, and your edit, so I still had to crit it either way since he would most likely go off or try to style it with your edit.

If your complaining about you making it at 5 in the morning then don't make them ^^, noone chooses what time you do things, and I know it was a quick edit like most everything is on here, I was just giving him advice. Also some stuff you posted against my crits were wrong, but this topic isn't about you.

SSJ if you'd like me to make an edit about what i'm talking about feel free to say so, I just think its better to try out by saying what you need to do so you can do it, before I visually show(Which is worse for learning, since you can copy and all that stuff...)

Off topic.
Stop making it about him you started it with your first post. Making he/she look like a total ass becuase he responded to your as he said "Unwanted Criticism" Your helping the OP not the one putting the effort to even try help at 5:00 am. Some people only have certain times to do stuff. Most of his answers to you are correct. some are not. And as he said it is more about "Personal Preference" then anything. Image if all the painters and artist in the world didn't personalize anything and made them the same. It would be dull everything would have been done before.

Ontopic

You could build off of Redbuttons edit. and mix in some of what baka said. Or you can build off Redbuttons edit trying out new shading techniques and other stuff.

In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Also, the way you're adding specular highlights works great on a bald head, but not so great on a body unless the guy's oiled up or something. Same with the pants, you're making the pants look shiny (@ RedButton).

-_- Honest to god why am I getting crits for helping his base out a bit? Hes the one that wants the help not me. Instead of criticizing my post try helping his.
In response to Redbutton
Redbutton wrote:
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:

-_- Honest to god why am I getting crits for helping his base out a bit? Hes the one that wants the help not me. Instead of criticizing my post try helping his.

Its not like its offensive critz... Chill if you dont wont it to happen then dont post ;) but yeh you do need to soften the outline.

Rather then just shade out the light source like he has nothing on and the light is hitting him hard from North-East you should draw, colour then AFTER you have coloured him in basically draw the light but just mixing up the pallet and adding little tweaks =P

Photobucket
Example (An old base i made)
In response to Chris-g1
Red, we are saying this because most-likely he will work off your edit, and since you made the edit some stuff might be bad with it so we will crit it too, as Chris said if you don't want that, then don't post here...

But with the base, everything I said in my original post would have led to a base somewhat looking like what Chris did, he didn't have any wrongs that I said you should correct in my post, but its in a different style, which shows how to get your base to the final result(It looking as best as it can).