ID:258218

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Getting started. I'm still practicing and trying to improve my pixel arting skills. The only mistake that I can point out myself, is the black outlining. I left it there on purpose, but if it looks bad I can change it.

Well..C & C please.
Elemental reaper wrote:

Getting started. I'm still practicing and trying to improve my pixel arting skills. The only mistake that I can point out myself, is the black outlining. I left it there on purpose, but if it looks bad I can change it.

Well..C & C please.

body is really unproportional
legs are tiny and lighting is coming from two different locatoins. on the right leg, u think it was coming from the left, and left leg i thought it was coming from the right
arms are too wide out and looks like hes doing an awkward flex
shoulders are way too long
he doesn't have a neck, so just raise his head a pixel or two
the body shading is alright, but he has no definition in terms of his arms or his abs

all these things are easy fixes, so np
In response to Mohfar1
Mohfar1 wrote:
Elemental reaper wrote:

Well..C & C please.

body is really unproportional
legs are tiny and lighting is coming from two different locatoins. on the right leg, u think it was coming from the left, and left leg i thought it was coming from the right
arms are too wide out and looks like hes doing an awkward flex
shoulders are way too long
he doesn't have a neck, so just raise his head a pixel or two
the body shading is alright, but he has no definition in terms of his arms or his abs

all these things are easy fixes, so np

I tried to do everything you said, but I don't really have an idea how to give the arms more definition.

I just did a quick edit on the arms, but I kept the first just so you can pick which is better.
In response to Elemental reaper
Here is the quick edit I told you I was gonna make.

- Reshaped the head(Your head seemed a little big and wide.)
- Made the eyes smaller but kept your style.(Added some white)
- Moved the eyes to the center of the head.
- Fixed up the shoulders.
- Fixed up the neck.(The neck doesn't have to be long.)
- Reshaped the ears.(Your ears seemed a little pointed to me.)
- Made hands on the arms.(You base had stubs. >.<)
- Made the legs less bulgy.
- Reshaped the shoes.

Of coarse this is just how I would edit it. You can use this as a reference. (Don't copy and paste!!!)

In response to Akto

I just whipped this up in the mean time.
In response to Akto
You destroyed its style!
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
You destroyed its style!

Lol, I don't think making a monkey was one of his intentions.
In response to Bakasensei
Lmao! I did. >.< But he was going to remake it so I made a little reference for him. (We met up on a game.) He seemed to think it was better.
In response to Hulio-G

In response to Hulio-G
Who knows, however...

It's silly to think people have to stick to the 'standard' BYOND anime proportions (which aren't even correct body proportions to start with) for their base icons. I think rather that COMPLETELY redoing the icon into something entirely different we should try to help him improve it, yes?

So how about we, you know, help him improve on the things he needs to improve on than actually changing the shape? I'm surprised none of you pointed out the terrible use of colors and shading, although one of you did mention the two seperate light sources. As such, my post will be talking about improving your pixel art skills, and not about correctly drawing people (which is moot anyways for doing a cartoon-style).

First off is the use of colors, and shading. I couldn't even tell zoomed out but you were using 4 shades of pink, all of which are very similar tones to each other. The result is barely noticeable gradient shading. One top of which you have two different light sources going on. One from the North East, and one from the south west. I don't even know what's going on with the pants. So I took five minutes and went through and replaced the colors and shading (I used Hue shading), did some rough selective outlining, and I made a slight edit to the shoulders because they were bothering me with that straight edge that you gave it.

As you can see even with my really crappy edit, there's an improvement.

Some relevant links (you can look on the front page for a lot more).
http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html
http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218