ID:258258

Well Im relatively new to pixel art, and thought I would try my hand with a semi-naked, overly buff male.

How did I do, any comments or criticisms? Feel free to comment on things other than just the lighting (except the hair >_<).
Davlin wrote:
Well Im relatively new to pixel art, and thought I would try my hand with a semi-naked, overly buff male.

How did I do, any comments or criticisms? Feel free to comment on things other than just the lighting (except the hair >_<).

if that's uberly new i'd like to see you posting some more stuff n a month or to cause that is AMAZING for a beginner ( ive seen beginners starting with 1-2 colors & stick figures )
In response to Son Danny
Well, Im not entirely new. I did quite a lot of photoshop work and some drawings, however I figured I would give pixel art a shot since coming to Byond. I do find that the 32x32 dimensions are a bit constricting, however I've yet to try multilayered mobs.

I also used various references in order to get the shape of male anatomy correct. I was quite surprised to find how much difference an extra colour, used for light reflection, makes to the image.
In response to Davlin
I see well Welcome to BYOND you are at the right adress here EVERYONE has a talent of art on this part of BYOND so have fun ! ( is there any way to contact you msn or anything? )
In response to Son Danny
Son Danny wrote:
EVERYONE has a talent of art on this part of BYOND

Lies, I suck at art. XD

Btw, that male is awesome... I'd kill to be able to do something even close to how well that's done.
In response to Howey
Thank you Howey, still waiting for pointers though. =p

As for MSN, currently not. I'll enter those Membership draws though and hopefully start blogging, am I right in saying I need one to use the pager?
In response to Davlin
Davlin wrote:
still waiting for pointers though. =p
Fix the pallet your using on bottem half...
quick edit:
Photobucket
It was quick so the colouring may be off.

Provide references in future...
So yeh i like your shading at the top just needs to change the pallet on the bottem
In response to Chris-g1
Thanks, yeah I was more concentrated on the top. As for the references, I never kept a hold of them, I'll need to keep that in mind.
In response to Davlin
Damn, I knew once I started working on an edit someone else would get to it before me.

Anyways, this was pretty strong on it's own. Your attention to anatomy is great here. Really the only things I can point out are it gets pillowy in some places, and it could use some selective outlining and a tad more contrast for definition.

I just added some sel-out, made the darkest skin color a little darker, and shifted the hue, and shifted the lightest skin color as well.
In response to AmonR
That's fantastic, thank you very much. It's turning out much better than I thought it would.

Here is what has now come of the image:
In response to Davlin
Davlin wrote:
That's fantastic, thank you very much. It's turning out much better than I thought it would.

Here is what has now come of the image:

Meh i see nothing but minor problems such as, head being too big for its body, and fist being too small...but im not onw to judge i cant do half as good as that
In response to Davlin
Yeah, the main thing wrong with it is the clothes and hair, but thats not the main part to the picture, but great job on the anatomy.
In response to Z3D
Z3D wrote:
Meh i see nothing but minor problems such as, head being too big for its body, and fist being too small...but im not onw to judge i cant do half as good as that

There is nothing wrong with sizes.
In response to Chris-g1
For correct anatomy the head is indeed too large. The fists could probably be a tad larger, and drawn better. They don't really look like fists when you get down to it, but rather a fleshy hoove or something of that nature.
In response to Maggeh
@Danny
I'd think "Everyone here has a passion for art" is what you're going for, lol.

@Davlin
Though it may be unintentional there's too much pillow shading going on here.

I see it being caused by using too many colors in combination with bad techniques. Instead of the anti-alasing you're trying to achieve it's backfiring, you're instead banding, double outlining (the shades/colors are literally being surrounded), etc. We need to eliminate little problems at the root in order to prevent pillow shading.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• Post [link] (For more ways to avoid pillow shading look at technique display 1-3 in Reply #2).
• The whole face is double outlined, the "left-ear edit" shows the potential of the face.
• Color balance seemed off (atleast on the two lightest colors). I slightly lowered the tone of the 2nd lightest shade. The contrast seemed a bit too high.

Overall I think the art was extremely well done, not like anyone ever bothers to do any of the little things I mentioned anyway, lol.

@Z3D
The head is only too big if he's not going for a chibish head. I don't think he'd make it twice the size of a normal head for no reason.
In response to Hulio-G
Thank you for all the comments. Hulio, I appreciate all the tips and links, I'll deffinetly be one to check them out and (attempt to) apply them in the future.

As for the head, when I realised it was too big, I decided to keep it that way (I quite like it). The hands however do need some work. Im working on a couple of other things right now, so when I update this image again, I'll be sure to bump the thread.
In response to Hulio-G
@Z3D
The head is only too big if he's not going for a chibish head. I don't think he'd make it twice the size of a normal head for no reason.

I understand, but, if he was intending to go for a "cartoony" look, id most likely have lighter and less color, such as, http://img366.imageshack.us/ my.php?image=menosgrandechibiud1.png <=== That guys menos, see it has like a total of 6-10 colors, and its shading makes it look "cartoony" His btw, has the more realistic, anatomy shading, with more like 30 colors. Thats why i made the head and fist one of my concern.
In response to Z3D
He only used 16 colors, including a few redundant ones. That Menos seems like less an example of cartoony and more an example of minimal. You can still pull off cartoony without low color count.
In response to Z3D
Actually it's around half that many colours. I'd say between 16 and 19, not that it makes much of a difference to your point; I just wanted to clarify.

Edit*: Posted this just after AmonR's post.