ID:258294

I know I said I'd wait to release these, but I just finished some animated water and I thought I'd share. I probably still need to tweak the colors, and I'm sure these tiles don't exactly line up (so you'll have to cut and paste them manually until I fix that). Here's a little gif of the animated water in action:

and the current set:
Xooxer wrote:
I know I said I'd wait to release these, but I just finished some animated water and I thought I'd share. I probably still need to tweak the colors, and I'm sure these tiles don't exactly line up (so you'll have to cut and paste them manually until I fix that). Here's a little gif of the animated water in action:

and the current set:

Great job, i really like how smooth the animation is.
Looks like you're working at a fast pace.

Thats a pretty kick ass water animation. I'm curious to know how your mentality or approach was towards this.
In response to Hulio-G
I can't take much credit for the wavy water ripple. I used a program called Texture Maker that can produce procedural, animated effects like that. It's mainly used for 3D game textures and bump maps. The layout of the tiles mimics other 17-tile sprite sheets I've seen (mainly used in 2D console games), rather than trying to force terrain features into a single 32x32 space with 16, 47, or 256 tiles, as many BYOND games do.
In response to Xooxer
Very nice. I'd hire you if I had money. XD
In response to Xooxer
Haha! I knew it, at first I thought it was done with Photoshop water ripple effects, but I do remember a terrain maker thing like you said. Also, the only problem people or games might have with these is there fluentness, like how well they match up, cause if you have these awesome terrains, then a crappy sprite it won't match up and make it look worse, it might be the first time said but you made them TOO good xD
In response to Bakasensei
Turfs aren't my only endeavor. I'll be making sprites to match, in various styles and sizes, as well as items and objects, buildings and GUI/HUD elements. I figured I'd start with grass and water, though. :P Besides, there are some really good artists here that could easily make sprites to match these sets.
In response to Xooxer
Oh, I thought you were just doing a giant turf pack xD, and most-likely the people who are going to use them aren't that good at art, but yeah, i'm hopeful these will replace the current RPG Maker ones!
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
Oh, I thought you were just doing a giant turf pack xD, and most-likely the people who are going to use them aren't that good at art, but yeah, i'm hopeful these will replace the current RPG Maker ones!

Indeed :) Although when working on turf such as water, sand, grass etc... i prefer to see them made on a larger scale to keep grid less visable(Like a 64x64) but yeh hopfully these can help replace the RPG makers ones ;)
In response to Chris-g1
I can do larger turfs, or more alternatives. The problem with doing a single large turf image, though, is that not everyone will know how to re-assemble it to work right, since usually not every 32x32 chunk of that 64x64 image will tile well with itself. I am working on a project right now that uses a single 512x512 png for basic ground cover, but because it's covering turfs, you have to assign each turf an icon_state in the right order for it to cover the map correctly. It tends to be a pain, so I went with "easy to use" instead.
I like the sand it has a really nice contrast but the water could use alittle adjustments
In response to Venture
Can you be more specific? The water's edge pixels are *slightly* off in a few places, due to having the image start at 128x128 and reducing it to 32x32. A small bit of detail was lost because the bilinear reduction didn't take edge wrapping into consideration, so the edges are a pixel off in a couple spots. I might be able to eliminate that by offsetting a copy of the animation by half its width and then applying the reduction again. That would cause the middle of the copy to match the edges of the original. A quick selection of the middle of the copy pasted over the edges of the original should solve the wrap distortion.
oh my god dude, your work is great!
In response to Ralphadelik
Awesome work.Love the animation