ID:258337

thanks for reading and helping inadvance.

well, I'm working on a avatar game
well if aren't familar with avatar, its series about 4 nations and there ability of elemental manipulation. its set in a Asian-influenced world and a serious has a ton of focus on martial arts. (you might find it interesting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v82qWCNFB2g )

well anyways after some discussion with my coder, we realized the best way to show the different bending and martial arts styles would be with a 2 tiles base.
so I began work on the base and well its the first time Ive ever worked on a base, so dont be too harsh lol.

i just finished the left walking animation and I'm sorta happy that i managed to do it, but i thought it can out a little weird. I didn't like how his chest and his head dont move.... but i dont know how to fix that without ruining the whole animation. Could i get some advice on base animations or is there a useful template or guide?

1Photobucket2Photobucket3Photobucket4Photobucket5Photobucket
6Photobucket7Photobucket8Photobucket9Photobucket

Photobucket

(this base might look familiar, nightjumper is my coder) ill keep you guys updated on the progress
The head should move up and down as he walks. When his foot makes contact with the ground is when it should be at its lowest point and when he brings his other leg forward is when it should be at its highest.
If you are going to go through all the trouble to do the walking state, might as well do a running one instead, it will fit your game better and will look better. Unless your planning on having both running and walking state.
(Hmmm 2 tile animation. Ah, the old days)

First, you dont need 2 tile mobs to show the detail. The different styles in Avatar are already very distinct from one another. 2 tile mobs can make planning harder and longer if you, yourself, have not studied any martial arts. You might want to go 1 tile in instead of struggling with 2 tiles. The way the martial artist walks will differ from style to style and there is no real point in detailing such things. Just focus on the major movements of each styles.

Second, Never color an animation until it is finish. This makes animation and adjustments easier and faster. Just Focus on the outline until ALL of the need animations are done.

Finally, your animation is ok but you need to make the head move up and down, if it is the normal persons walk. Your animation is good if it is Tai Chi, but the body should turn at the shoulders and try not to use a standing frame as a part of a walk animation.
In response to Go-jin769
Nidaime Hokage wrote:
Unless your planning on having both running and walking state.

yep, you hold down the arrow to run, tap to just walk.. or something along that line.

Go-jin769 wrote:
First, you dont need 2 tile mobs to show the detail. The different styles in Avatar are already very distinct from one another. 2 tile mobs can make planning harder and longer if you, yourself, have not studied any martial arts.

i guess your right about it being harder.. but my coder and me know a ton about marital arts, expeically my coder. It'll be hard but I'll use the show as a constant reference.

Second, Never color an animation until it is finish. This makes animation and adjustments easier and faster. Just Focus on the outline until ALL of the need animations are done.

Lol that might be true. im gonna to definately remember that.

Finally, your animation is ok but you need to make the head move up and down, if it is the normal persons walk.

Could you point out at which one of the frames does the head move.

Your animation is good if it is Tai Chi, but the body should turn at the shoulders and try not to use a standing frame as a part of a walk animation.

ill keep that in mind