ID:258397

I really wouldn't go so far as to call it art. It's more like crap. It's not as bad as my usual art, though, and I'm kind of proud of it. Is there any way I can improve it? (and by that I mean, "In how many ways can I improve it? Are there over 9000 different ways I can improve it?").

It's supposed to be an evil monkey-humanoid thing.
looks like a bear
In response to Charliegrooms14
A little, though the abs, pecs, and widened shoulders should convince most people otherwise.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
A little, though the abs, pecs, and widened shoulders should convince most people otherwise.

i thought it to be a gingerbread man...

lol, anyway just practice

look up the tutorial pages on the PAS/B homepage

and, your mudkip dp is newfag :D, lol no its cool
Selective Outlining, Muscles maybe, Abs could use a touch up. With shading you don't want it to be flat(unless your aiming for a 2D look). Every curve of a body has a different shade tone then something thats closer to the light source or farther away. Also, a reference if possible would help.

Selective Outlining:
http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=227
In response to Akto
Updated the image in my original post. Thank you for that link, I mostly used the shading part of that tutorial. I'll look into fixing up my outlining, though! What do you guys think of it now?
In response to Jeff8500
Much better. Still needs work though.
You should highlight some features on it, bring out the details. The mouth could have more of an evil look, instead of a worm like row of teeth. The eyes could have more of an emphasis. Put highlights on the chest and such where light would hit it. Also, maybe add a tail? Some ears, more monkey features like a bald chest, feet, and hands. And as others have suggested, Selective Outlining.
In response to Bakasensei
Added some more highlighting, as well as a new mouth, new eyes, a tail, and some ears. What do you guys think now?

Also, I've been considering the bald feet, chest, etc. but I don't know how much different it would look from the hair (for example, a gorilla's chest is nearly the same color as its fur). Plus, many monkeys are completely covered in hair.

EDIT: And a little selective outlining that I added immediately after my last post.
I tried to add more selective shading, though I think I can count my first attempt as a failure :P. I still like the black outline better, what do you guys think?

In response to Jeff8500
Selective outlining* is still supposed to be an outline. The thing you just did is remove the outline completely, try having a darker outline than the color near it, though if its the lowest thing just keep it the same.
In response to Bakasensei
Hmm, thanks. In some places I bumped the color up, and others I bumped it down; I tried to not place two pixels of the same color next to each other. Looks like I was incorrect!
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
I tried to add more selective shading, though I think I can count my first attempt as a failure :P. I still like the black outline better, what do you guys think?

Much better, Hulio G made a great edit about how fur should be shaded, You dont shade it like its a blank object though, take into account diffrent sections like so:
Photobucket

I will find that post in a sec.

Edit: Ah there ya go Post [link]
In response to Chris-g1
Thanks, I'll have to look at working on the fur idea, I never really thought of shading it differently because of its texture. Also, I edited the selective shading image I posted before to a newer attempt, it's a little better I think.
In response to Jeff8500
Haha there's something kind of cool about how this is shaded. Everything's very geometrical. But I doubt that was the intended style, so I'd suggest making it look a little more organic. It's a little on the small side to be worried about packing a bunch of fur details into it, so the clean shaded look you've got so far is probably how you should keep it, with a little dither here and there to make it look less smooth.

In response to AmonR
AmonR wrote:
with a little dither here and there to make it look less smooth.

Dithering that small =O never would have thought of it lol.
In response to AmonR
Updated again, the new one is in the post your post is replying to (I just overwrote the file to save time). I also added a hastily pixeled attack state (with the arms down) to go with the new icon. I tried to add in some dithers here and there, though I couldn't exactly get it to the level of your edit.