ID:258442

I was wondering if anyone had a tutorial or knew a tutorial that I can learn how to make "water" with. water as in ocean water by the way.
Jamora1124 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had a tutorial or knew a tutorial that I can learn how to make "water" with. water as in ocean water by the way.

This is the closest thing to a water tut that I can think of at the moment, http://www.byond.com/members/PixelArt/forum?id=4468&view=1.
In response to Hulio-G
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/waterflow_imitation.php

this tutorial is alright. I used some of its ideas to make my own water turf.
In response to Mohfar1
Mohfar1 wrote:
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/waterflow_imitation.php

this tutorial is alright. I used some of its ideas to make my own water turf.

This is more about the animation though, still alright though!
In response to Chris-g1
None of these helped. I need help LEARNING how to make water, as a BEGINNER. What are the basics?
In response to Jamora1124
Jamora1124 wrote:
None of these helped. I need help LEARNING how to make water, as a BEGINNER. What are the basics?

Hmm. Well, what don't you understand?
In response to Hulio-G
Well, to begin, I need to know HOW to draw water in general. How do you do the waves and then color it? The basics....basically...
Jamora1124 wrote:
Well, to begin, I need to know HOW to draw water in general. How do you do the waves and then color it? The basics....basically...

For starters water has no form, this instantly makes the job that bit harder
I personally would go for the web layed style though...

Draw what you see...
Jamora1124 wrote:

• Turf fundamentals.
To start off I give you three well saturated colors.
Off the bat, you already have 3 terrains in mind: Grass. Water. Sand. So we get in depth, when you think of water what comes to mind?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I hold water in one hand, I think of fluidity. I grab grass in the other, I think of Earth/plantlife.

All you're doing is implying the most important characteristic to each. (Be fluid with the mouse for water). There's only one rule, don't over do it (See: Noise @ Bottom).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Preview:

Grass is finished, water looks decent for 2 strokes (hey, atleast they know it's water).

• The science.
Live by simplicity and you'll make your life easier. The game of pixel art is played by "implication". Imply something is there. This answer is incredibly basic as to not throw you off (and have you focus on what's most important), start off doing basic water like this then free feel to take it up a notch when you're comfortable. Your enemy is noise.

After observing Chris's link it appears to me his kind of water (1.) is the type you see from a top down view. Where as the water I made here (2.) is the type you see from a 3/4ths perspective.

In response to Hulio-G
Wow, thanks hulio. I'll take up on your advice. To be honest, the info on what you gave me should be turned into a guide or something. I guess there's no real way to draw Water but, the only way is to experiment with your own. Thanks again, hulio.
If anything I thought it showed there's always a way to make something >.>. You just need the right mentality, but yes experimentation will get you fair. I haven't had much experimentation time (experience) with turf myself.

Jamora1124 wrote:
Wow, thanks hulio. I'll take up on your advice. To be honest, the info on what you gave me should be turned into a guide or something. I guess there's no real way to draw Water but, the only way is to experiment with your own. Thanks again, hulio.

Np, I suppose someday the advice could be edited and I could turn it into an in-depth guide with more reasonable time put into the turf.

Jamora1124 wrote:

Well, I sometimes just go the lazy way about it. I make a dirt tile, and place it underneath an alpha layer with some blue. Demonstrated here by a current commission.

The water section is stll unfinished, but I would probably add some hilights and shadows to replicate the waves. Shh, don't think I'm supposed to leak any of this. heh.
In response to Tayoko
Tayoko wrote:
Jamora1124 wrote:

Well, I sometimes just go the lazy way about it. I make a dirt tile, and place it underneath an alpha layer with some blue. Demonstrated here by a current commission.

The water section is stll unfinished, but I would probably add some hilights and shadows to replicate the waves. Shh, don't think I'm supposed to leak any of this. heh.

Woah that looks incredible :O.