ID:258765

I've returned to BYOND and so I thought the first thing I should start improving is my Art. I decided to improve my Profile's Avatar(the sad portrait of myself), after about 80 or so minutes I think it's looking better. Theres still something wrong with it, but I just can't find it. So please give me C&C.

OLD:Photobucket

Old:Photobucket->Photobucket

New:Photobucket(The process:Photobucket)
Micheal Jackson?
In response to Falacy
Ok so I just scrapped the other 2 versions and I've completely restarted. Been at this new one for around a hour now with a picture of me beside it and I think I've gotten the line-art just about done(excluding hair).

It's a HUGE improvement compared to the last 2.

Try 3: Photobucket
In response to Lord Ulquiorra
So I just finished it and I'm satisfied at the moment. Still looking for C&C though.

Photobucket
in your last one, the colours are very unsaturated, might vbe usefull to make the face more vibrant by using less grey.

See how much better this looks? i upped the contrast and made the lips darker instead of lighter and the whole piece is way more saturated. i took some detailing out of it ( like the hair ). i hope this is of any help.
In response to Pandora'sSecret
Pandora'sSecret wrote:
in your last one, the colours are very unsaturated, might vbe usefull to make the face more vibrant by using less grey.

See how much better this looks? i upped the contrast and made the lips darker instead of lighter and the whole piece is way more saturated. i took some detailing out of it ( like the hair ). i hope this is of any help.

Wow, looks alot better.

Photobucket

I liked what you did with the lips and I edited it and used less gray, went alittle tanner though since I'm not that pale.
I'll be fixing the hair's shading in a bit. I'm not happy with it now that I think about it.
I updated it some and also made one for a RL friend who has a Cat-Girl complex.

Photobucket

Photobucket
the lips bother me, try changing the colors, perhaps darker?
In response to Mr.Tophat
Looks good to me , but it does remind me of MJ.
Lord Ulquiorra wrote:
So I just finished it and I'm satisfied at the moment. Still looking for C&C though.

Photobucket

This is a quick dabbling of what i was thinking about.
In response to Mr.Tophat
Mr.Tophat wrote:
Lord Ulquiorra wrote:

Photobucket

This is a quick dabbling of what i was thinking about.

Sorry, but when you consider his skin tone, you'll see that that color doesn't go with it. besides, he already updated it with better lips and colors overall!

http://www.byond.com/members/PixelArt/forum?id=13065
In response to Pandora'sSecret
Ah, k. Well i was roughly working off the palette he was using before. And you're right, the new one looks brilliant.
Nice to see your improving on old art, i was going through the same process before college and work picked up.

As for your edits, the problems that you should address are pretty simple really, your pallet and shading.
The pallet really lacks contrast and has a dull look to it which really flattens the image and makes it dull, if you want to give the image volume then ramp your pallet and add contrast to the shades, this will make it a lot easier to show the facial features like cheek bones, nose eye lids etc on other levels. Also keep the pallet down, i see unnecessary shades in there, attempt to limit yourself if possible.

Shading wise is ok but dither is really not needed, colour transitions on a face is pretty easy to show so just keep it simple and you will be fine, as for the hair rather then doing thousands of lines keep it simple also by doing it in bigger pieces, it will look cleaner and a lot better.

here is a quick demonstration of what i was trying to tell you(hair hasn't been touched)

(Left - yours, right - my edit)
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Micheal Jackson?

Micheal Jackson if he was emo.