In the spirit of simplicity, we've removed a "feature" for the upcoming 225 release. I suppose I should have asked first, but I'm almost certain that this will be met with appreciation.
The feature of which I speak is the object-associated stat panels. (Note: we have not removed the stat panels! ... read on). Currently you can assign stats to each object and override object.Stat() to display them. In order for an object's stats to be seen, it must be made the current client.statobj. The default value of this is the user's mob, and I'm pretty sure that 99% (if not 100%) of demos have never set it otherwise. In this case, only mob.Stat() is relevant, and it really only applies when the mob is a PC.
The user can also currently change the statobj by right-clicking + selecting and object or by clicking on one of those three buttons next to the stat panes. However, I don't think anyone has ever really done this intentionally either. How am I so sure? The point of that old info-button was to make this feature more accessible, and when I removed that there seemed to be great rejoicing.
So in this new version, we've just replaced all of the Stat procs with one: client.Stat(), and have eliminated all of this clicking business (along with those irritating buttons).
We've also gotten rid of the "target" menus (those with blue text tabs) that currently appear in your panes. The intention of these was to show the verbs that targeted the current statobj (which, as I mentioned, was almost inevitably the usr). But I think they just added confusion and cluttered up the screen. You can still get at the exact same menus by right-clicking the target-obj. It makes more sense that way, anyway.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the stripped down interface. It's a lot more sensical now. Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed that we took so long to figure it out.
Apr 18 2000, 12:22 am