ID:259196

Wow! I never grasped this before, but all the ATOM (Area, Turf, Obj, Mob) types I've been considering as separate entities are actually just variations on the same basic thing. I knew there was a lot of overlap between the variables and procs in each type; I just didn't realize how much until I sat down and really looked.
I thought it was interesting, anyway...

area
var
contents
density
desc
dir
icon_state
luminosity
name
opacity
overlays
suffix
tag
text
type
underlays
vars
verbs
visibility
proc
Click
DblClick
Del
Enter
Exit
New
Read
Stat
Topic
Write

turf
var
loc
x
y
z

obj
proc
Bump
Move

mob
var
ckey
client
group
key
sight
On 7/25/00 5:42 pm Guy T. wrote:
Wow! I never grasped this before, but all the ATOM (Area, Turf, Obj, Mob) types I've been considering as separate entities are actually just variations on the same basic thing.

ATOM. I love it. We have to use that somewhere.

There is quite a bit of overlap. It almost makes us want to have a base type from which to derive everything. The only reason we haven't done that is is because the notation becomes a bit lengthier (eg /object/mob, etc).
In response to Tom H.
It almost makes us want to have a base type from which to derive everything. The only reason we haven't done that is is because the notation becomes a bit lengthier (eg /object/mob, etc).

Or worse yet:

world
mob = /area/turf/obj/mob/player

I think I'm quite content with the current scheme!

It was just a neat surprise that there's so much in common. I knew a mob was just an obj with a couple extra features, but I didn't realize it could be applied to turfs and areas too. (Sounds like a basis for a conspiracy theory. "This thing goes all the way up to the highest levels... and BYOND!")
Corrected version (in case anyone actually has a use for it):

area
var
contents
density
desc
dir
icon_state
luminosity
name
opacity
overlays