ID:259197

Consult the news page. We'll try to get it back up as soon as possible.

Dang, that can't have brightened your day. I hope you won't have to go through too much hassle to work around it.
In response to Guy T.
On 7/25/00 6:38 pm Guy T. wrote:
Dang, that can't have brightened your day. I hope you
won't have to go through too much hassle to work around
it.

Guy T, you've got the cable modem right? We'll just host it at your place :).

- -
On 7/25/00 5:56 pm Tom H. wrote:

Dang, and I just got my spiffy new automated movement scheme working.

Oh well.

What kind of complaints did the ISP have?
In response to Gabriel
Guy T, you've got the cable modem right? We'll just host it at your place :).

I wish! I check the durned DSL suppliers about every 2 weeks to see if they're offering it in my area yet... in theory, I'm close enough to the central office to get it.

I've emailed the local cable company a few times to get info on their service, with no response. Doesn't inspire confidence. And besides, they'd probably give me a higher rate for not having basic cable... the money I currently save by not having cable goes into supporting my DVD addiction. :)
In response to Deadron
On 7/25/00 6:47 pm Deadron wrote:

What kind of complaints did the ISP have?

Basically that we were taking up too much cpu with some of these beta tests. The machine we're on is pretty heavily loaded and we are a "special case", being alums of the same school that the co-founder attended.

Don't worry. We'll either get our own server or see if they can move us over to a temporary host for the time being.

Do any of you have friends in high places? How about you college folk? T3s are aplenty in school, if I recall :)
In response to Tom H.
On 7/25/00 8:25 pm Tom H. wrote:
Do any of you have friends in high places? How about you
college folk? T3s are aplenty in school, if I recall :)

I used to run an ISP that can probably put up a machine, though I'm not sure who's running it these days. I wouldn't trust them to keep it up though, and I'm three thousand miles away...

My work has three T-3s they aren't even using except as backups, but I'd have to be friends with the CEO which I'm not -g-.

Can look into the ISP though.
Ok, I've put it back up for the time being. It's running at a lower priority. It may go back down later if our provider no likey.

Please, please test your worlds thoroughly before you commit to leaving the .dmb accessible. Check the log files for errors and potential problem sources. Thanks!
In response to Guy T.
I was going to get internet on cable. My mom asked Rogers @ Home how much it would cost to get one. Here's what they said.

"Setup and installation is [$379], which also includes the 1 full year rental of the cable modem."
"What happens after a year?"
"You have to buy the modem."
"Oh? And how much does that cost?"
"I'm not sure."
"Could you go check?"
"Well, the prices aren't listed anywhere."

My mom spent a week talking to Rogers and that, and they were so tight-lipped about the price of the cable modem that my mom basically said "screw 'em" and bought us a 56K instead.

That lowered my confidence in cable modems too. Not the fact that there wasn't support, but the fact that they didn't tell you how much the damned thing cost.

Yeesh, you'd think they'd at least tell a customer how much it would cost. My mom said she would buy it if they were at least honest, but they weren't, so I'm browsing on low-speed internet, and quite happily too.

In response to Gabriel
My work has three T-3s they aren't even using except as backups, but I'd have to be friends with the CEO which I'm not -g-.

Depends on how far you want to go to be considered a "friend" ;-)