ID:259201

[continued from discussion in bug-report forum]

I want to get a general consensus on the banner system we have going on the client. Let me present my thought process, then a few ideas brought up by Dan.

I think that, as developers of this system, we have a slightly warped view on how the users approach it. As I mentioned before, I've always thought of the client as a "byond browser", navigating the different games much like Netscape surfs through the web. From a functionality point of view, this is basically what it is. However, users-- especially those directed to a particular world by a developer-- don't see it this way; rather, they think of it as an interface for a particular game. Of course, the rather large and blatent "BYOND" kind of kills this image.

Back when we first moved to BYOND I remember Zilal complaining about this; actually, she wanted me to remove the "Build Your Own Net Dream" part of the logo because it seemed demeaning to the work she had done. I agreed and obliged, and no one has really complained since then, but I'm starting to get it through my thick skull that most people kind of resent having anything there at all. Perhaps they are silent in fear that we may stick the DUNG logo back in that slot!

At any rate, the banner isn't there for purposes of recognition or an ego boost or anything. We figure that if someone has downloaded the client they probably have heard of the web page, so it's a moot point. We just thought that it would be good to have an empty space that could be used for some future advertising or something. Since the software is, and always will be, free, we have had to come up with several possible ways to generate an income from this project. If we do become popular it seems that this would be lucrative, but I would be willing to abandon it if it was truly a deterrent.

Dan has had a different motivation in mind, one that I find quite refreshing (but perhaps difficult to pull off). He thinks that if we do any advertising, the profit should be shared by the developer. So the developer would have a choice in activating the banners or not; if they did, they would get some percentage of the generated revenue. This will likely be negligeable for both parties, but it may be nice to know that everything is shared. And of course the developer could just turn off the banner or replace it with one of their own if that was the decision.

We have also considered removing the banners from the current location and just making them done in the text body itself. This would allow for arbitrary graphics sizes and "text banners" consisting of html. Unfortunately it probably could only be done between games so as not to disrupt the flow. I personally would find it quite annoying if a commercial got played in the middle of a mud or something.

In the next few days I may experiment with a couple of different interfaces that will likely be less obtrusive, so that new users won't have BYOND forced down their throats. Know that this was never our intention.

Any thoughts?
I agreed and obliged, and no one has really complained since then, but I'm starting to get it through my thick skull that most people kind of resent having anything there at all. Perhaps they are silent in fear that we may stick the DUNG logo back in that slot!

Ha! I don't mind the logo, honest. For that matter, I'd stick with the system even if you did go back to DUNG, though I do think BYOND was a step up in mass appeal...

I've thrown in some ideas whenever the issue has arisen, but that's just because I've developed the electronic equivalent of a big mouth. I can certainly think of occasions where it might be fun to use that banner for some custom purpose, but in general, I'd be happy to have a given player see the BYOND banner most of the time. (Until I wake up tomorrow morning with a crackpot game idea that centers around using the banner constantly. :)

Also, I think the reason the "BYOND browser" view isn't all that common among the developers is that many of us are aiming to make games that will keep people absorbed for hours, a la EverCrack, as opposed to games that are amenable to world-hopping every half-hour or so (e.g., chat rooms, checkers, Space Invaders). As the user base grows, no doubt there will be more representation of those people who have ambitions more in line with the "browsing" model.

At any rate, the banner isn't there for purposes of recognition or an ego boost or anything.

Well, that's reassuring... wouldn't it be silly to get all puffed up over spending a mere five years building a programming language and development environment! :)

Dan has had a different motivation in mind, one that I find quite refreshing (but perhaps difficult to pull off). He thinks that if we do any advertising, the profit should be shared by the developer. So the developer would have a choice in activating the banners or not; if they did, they would get some percentage of the generated revenue. This will likely be negligeable for both parties, but it may be nice to know that everything is shared. And of course the developer could just turn off the banner or replace it with one of their own if that was the decision.

Sounds excellent.

On the most basic level, you could maybe do something like this:

var/myBanner = banner('gameGraphic.bmp')
usr << myBanner

and then, to turn it off:

del myBanner

In other words, basically the image() syntax. And when the programmer isn't using the banner, it reverts to Dantom's control. The banner could be turned off entirely just by doing something like:

usr << banner(null)

and given back to Dantom with something like:

usr << __DANTOM_BANNER__

Only problem is, the advertisers might only get a two-second blip before the game decides to put up the next custom banner...

We have also considered removing the banners from the current location and just making them done in the text body itself. This would allow for arbitrary graphics sizes and "text banners" consisting of html. Unfortunately it probably could only be done between games so as not to disrupt the flow. I personally would find it quite annoying if a commercial got played in the middle of a mud or something.

Yes, I think having the banner in its own area is much more palatable than dropping it into the text. And banners between worlds wouldn't be too effective if a player is really only interested in one world (though once they've taken the time to install the client, it would be a shame if they didn't at least sample the other worlds out there; I think most people will do that, and pick out a few favorites).

In the next few days I may experiment with a couple of different interfaces that will likely be less obtrusive, so that new users won't have BYOND forced down their throats. Know that this was never our intention.

Any thoughts?

Well, my instinctive reaction is, "If you don't like it, go ahead and find a better development package." But of course it's easy for me to take that attitude because I didn't build the system; I'll just make my little games that people will either play or they won't, and if they don't, I've at least become a much better programmer and had some fun doing it.

If the banner can help BYOND be profitable, then it's in my best interest to support the banner so I can keep using the product and keep reaping the benefits of future improvements.
In response to Guy T.
On 8/2/00 8:55 pm Guy T. wrote:
I agreed and obliged, and no one has really complained since then, but I'm starting to get it through my thick skull that most people kind of resent having anything there at all. Perhaps they are silent in fear that we may stick the DUNG logo back in that slot!

Ha! I don't mind the logo, honest. For that matter, I'd stick with the system even if you did go back to DUNG, though I do think BYOND was a step up in mass appeal...

I don't have any particular problem with the banner, and think that having other banners run through for games is fine, and even having advertising is fine (preferably with an option where paying a few bucks a month means I can turn it off). I am firmly in favor of Dantom making money, including off of me to let me personalize the environment as much as I want. I worry sometimes that Dantom is afraid of making money...or at least of doing any of the things that might be required to get there...

The only thing I would consider reconsidering is relation of that banner to the game itself. I have noticed that non-developers who log into my game don't have any understanding of the difference between my game and Byond. They think I did it all, and when they complain about some problem or request a feature, they assume I am in full control of the system, even if I've explained it.

And a look at the interface can help explain this. When people log in they see a big BYOND banner, and the name of my world is little tiny text in the upper left corner. So as near as they can tell, this is a game called BYOND that I wrote. There is no indication that one is a system and one is a game.

A possible way to deal with this would be to have two banners. Move the BYOND banner to the far right of the window, and possibly add some text that indicates BYOND is the system. Something like a subtitle that says "Built in BYOND". In fact, "Built in BYOND" could be the entire thing there.

Then let the game have a banner where the current BYOND banner is. That banner should be dynamic, and the suggestion to use the image API makes some sense.

Now if BYOND is successful and lots of people want to use it for their games, then some are going to complain about even having a "Built in BYOND". But, unless that keeps people from even trying the development system (which the current banner situation might), cross that bridge when you come to it.

Any thoughts?

Ooooo. I don't really like the text-output idea. When it comes to chat, even, I get totally annoyed when I say something and then when I proofread it 5 or 6 lines pop-up underneath while I'm halfway through. My literacy (if most people have been paying attention, I do try to spell everything to the best of my ability =) comes from the fact that I always look over everything I do. If I make a mistake when I say something, I either correct it within about 5 seconds, or I just let it pass because the mistake is hardly noticeable. But when I'm trying to proofread stuff, and my eyes jump around, I make big mistakes, and get PO'd when I make bad one's and don't correct them. =P

Well, other text output, not in chats, also annoys me. For example, when I was playing Hunter, I was getting annoyed at my own little turn expiration warnings.

I must be a freak (I get miffed at itsy bitsy things), but I'd much prefer graphical ad banners instead of stuff where I'm trying to read.

To me, it's like pop-up banners. I hate pop-ups. =/

I mostly agree with the other forum users. I think most of us are developing fairly large worlds and are hoping they won't be too much of an 'occasional browse' and more of a long term game.

Yes, the current banner does make it difficult to differentiate between environment and world development. I liked Deadron's idea of "Built In Byond", which could be a link to dantom.com. I'd have thought that if you are going to try and make your cash through advertising you would be better off trying to encourage as many as possible to host their world's at your site and put the advertising there. It wouldn't be too hard to have news/gossip/reviews about the hosted worlds, that would encourage players to hang around and look at the ads. I, like most, view ads as a necessary evil, but I could be put off a game by having inappropriate advertising across the top of the client, I think it should either be BYOND or the developer's own banner. Put the commercial advertising at the game entry point; try to encourage worlds to be accessed via a site rather than directly.

On a slightly different note, there are some other options to make cash, I'm sure you've thought of them, but I'll mention them just in case!

1) Develop some fairly standard worlds, I'd have thought mainstream SF and Fantasy, sell/lease/licence the source so that people without the coding experience can produce games by just drag and drop map creation (and minimal coding). Obviously, these won't have as much going for them as the kind of custom developed worlds we are trying for, but they'd sure make a nice starting point.

2) It appears that Byond has a number of more commercial/academic applications outside of gaming. Why not write and sell libraries to address these issues e.g.
Web server (Deadron).
AI tutorials/research (uni's would love it).
Crowd control/flow analysis.
Systems modelling (not my thing, but I'm sure someone could help).
General teaching aid.

Well I'm sure you are all bored with my opinions now so I'll shutup.
Thanks for all the responses.

So it appears to me that the main problem is that the current banner induces confusion. I guess that leaves us with a couple of options:

* Remove it altogether, or just have a small netscapey like button, as Guy T. suggested. We even have the perfect button designed (it comes from the cover of the new book).

* Let users supply their own banner, perhaps supplemented by a simple "Built in BYOND" text string at the bottom. We could either auto-generate a default banner (based on the world name) for those who don't supply one, or maybe just keep the space blank in that case. (Deadron)

I'm starting to think that simply removing the banner space might be the way to go. As Al noted, if the system does catch on we should have ample advertising opportunity at the source on the web. If we are to attract an investor though, we will need to have a system in place that takes advantage of our (presumed) popularity. This was one possible idea. How does Napster make money?

Does anyone like this shared advertising scheme, where the designer has the say in weather they want to flash banners or not (and to a lesser degree, which banners will be flashed)? I think that conceptially it's a great idea, but a part of me hates being a part of this kind of commercialization. I'm pretty sure that if I wrote a game in this system I wouldn't want these kinds of advertisments, since it makes it look amateurish. Then again, if we make this a choice, I suppose all's good.

We have given quite a bit of thought to other places that can be targeted by this product and thus gain us either popularity or income, or both. I really like the idea of using it for education. While this might not buy us noteriety, it would be delightful to see a younger crowd familiarize themselves with coding with DM. I think that a big problem with starting out in a "low-level" language like C is that it takes so much code to produce anything, dare I say, noticeable (to others .. all coders should rightly be pleased with any of their accomplishments!) DM allows you to at least get some results relatively quickly, and I think this is key to the learning process. And since it has a basis in C, it is trivial to move over to another language if you ever feel the need (why you would is another question!) For instance, if you understood that "pass by value" discussion I had with Guy T. in one of the earlier forum posts then you know something quite fundamental to most of the general programming languages.

I think it is also important that we find a particular niche. If we could become the standard for, say, chatting, or mud-building, then we would have an immediate, huge market. This would presumably produce an audience for the other games so it would be beneficial to all involved. To me, the knowledge that an audience will be around to try your game is a big drive to coding it. For instance, I'm thinking of writing a server/client file-transfer program like Napster (it's quite trivial in DM), but right now I know that it would be somewhat useless without an audience to support it. That should come in due time.

Finally, I must address one comment by Deadron:

I worry sometimes that Dantom is afraid of making
money...or at least of doing any of the things that might
be required to get there...

This rings quite true. In fact, a friend of mine has been nagging me about this for quite a while. However, the tide is turning. We have recently invested quite a bit of money to print the new book and will this month be spending even more to get the main server going. Aside from the products they produce, these expenses are very good in a way, because will force us to legitimately attempt to make money (by attracting users), or find someone who can meet that need. I suspect that the next six months will determine a lot about the fate of this project. It should be quite exciting.

Whew. Okay, I'll do some work now.
In response to Tom H.
I'm starting to think that simply removing the banner space might be the way to go. As Al noted, if the system does catch on we should have ample advertising opportunity at the source on the web. If we are to attract an investor though, we will need to have a system in place that takes advantage of our (presumed) popularity.

Hmm... here's a neat idea that a lot of products already use. How about a "BYOND Professional Edition" that offers special features the freeware release doesn't provide? Yes, I know you hate to withhold features from the users, but I think this could be a great way to make some dough while still giving everyone access to the core functions of BYOND. Take, for example, some of the nifty graphic features you've hinted at in the past -- like color filters, or the ability to plop a graphic of arbitrary size right onto the map. We've all gotten along quite well without them, but on the other hand, I'd sure like to have access to them, even if it meant paying for them. In fact it would be pretty cool to actually have a CD with the BYOND logo stamped on it! (Hmm. The logo inspires a little slogan: "Code till you're black and blue!")

Looking at it one way, the companies that sell "Professional Editions" or "Premium Editions" are pulling kind of a cheesy trick, kind of a "the first hit's free" proposition... in many cases, the functionality is already in the downloaded program, with a simple access bit that gets flipped to 1 when you buy the password. So, yeah, it's a tease. But on the other hand, it's a *fair* tease. If you really like the program, you'll want the whole schmeer. If you're a casual user, you'll settle for the training wheels, and only a heel would whine about getting a good program, even a pared-down version, for free.

Also, is the pay() command still planned? I think that could offer a lot of promise. If I remember right (I think the last discussion was way back in the old DUNG forums), the idea was that Dantom would levy a miniscule surcharge every time the command was used. I bet that could really add up over time.

Does anyone like this shared advertising scheme, where the designer has the say in weather they want to flash banners or not (and to a lesser degree, which banners will be flashed)? I think that conceptially it's a great idea, but a part of me hates being a part of this kind of commercialization. I'm pretty sure that if I wrote a game in this system I wouldn't want these kinds of advertisments, since it makes it look amateurish. Then again, if we make this a choice, I suppose all's good.

I love the idea; I'm sure I'd participate in the scheme. There might be one or two games where I'd want a more austere mood -- and one or two games that only a seriously twisted advertiser would want to sponsor -- but in general, I really wouldn't have a problem with ad banners in my games. Especially if I was getting a piece of the action!

And since it has a basis in C, it is trivial to move over to another language if you ever feel the need (why you would is another question!) For instance, if you understood that "pass by value" discussion I had with Guy T. in one of the earlier forum posts then you know something quite fundamental to most of the general programming languages.

I wonder where I'd be today if I'd learned DM instead of BASIC back in '83? I can't help but think I'd be a lot smarter...

I worry sometimes that Dantom is afraid of making
money...or at least of doing any of the things that might
be required to get there...

This rings quite true. In fact, a friend of mine has been nagging me about this for quite a while. However, the tide is turning. We have recently invested quite a bit of money to print the new book and will this month be spending even more to get the main server going. Aside from the products they produce, these expenses are very good in a way, because will force us to legitimately attempt to make money (by attracting users), or find someone who can meet that need. I suspect that the next six months will determine a lot about the fate of this project. It should be quite exciting.

Yep, it sounds like you guys are getting your stuff together, business-wise. I think the "programmer's advocate" mentality is commendable, but sooner or later you just have to say, like Stephen King: "If you pay, the story rolls. If you don't, the story folds." I know that the details of business can be pretty annoying and easy to let slide, compared to the allure of slipping in one more neat new feature or working on a game... but once you get a good investor, you'll have someone else to take care of those details for you! (Of course, you may also lose some autonomy... d'oh.)

In response to Guy T.
(Of course, you may also lose some autonomy... d'oh.)

I don't know... if I got paid a regular salary instead of a pure commission, I'd be that much happier. Not that I'm getting paid yet or anything, but if I were... (I'm saving my extreme talent (?) for next year. Next year, 9 months after I'm licensed to drive (6 months into 2001), I'm going to get a job... not before, and only if I think that I won't be able to sell enough of my games as stand-alone executables =)

Oh! Which reminds me (three guesses why =). At some point in the future, a really really really excellent feature would be to allow BYOND to create stand-alone .exes, which contain all the Dream Seeker's stuff, compiled into one handy package. Then, if people wanted to, they could distribute their game along with byondwin.dll, and they'd have a completely ready-made game, which would have the Built in BYOND logo stamped beside it... Of course, it wouldn't be a game you could connect to like a browser, but it might make a few people happy. And unfortunately there'd always be those hacky neophytes who'd want to make a program to strip the file of its logo.

Okay, I can't help it... hackers should get a life. *cough* What, did I say something?

In response to Spuzzum
On 8/3/00 10:50 am Spuzzum wrote:
(Of course, you may also lose some autonomy... d'oh.)

I don't know... if I got paid a regular salary instead of a pure commission, I'd be that much happier.

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of being able to retain creative control over the vision of what BYOND should become.

Marketing Dude: Okay, guys, here's the plan just signed a deal for a completely rad TV ad campaign with a BYOND theme song by are you ready for this Christina Aguilera and we've got people sprucing up the web page right now nothing big just making it a little more hip-hop smoothed out on the street flava tip you know the new boys have some great ideas about adding some features little more ActiveX glitz no sweat if we just rework the bytecode a little bit maybe lose the platform independence that's not a problem is it?

Tom: Uh...

MDude: Did I mention we're adding a 30-day timer to the basic download I mean if people aren't hooked by then they're not gonna be and the Guide and Code and Demos stuff is gonna be on its own CD instead of the site under ten bucks but every little bit helps and we're kicking around a tighter EULA to make sure we have full distribution rights to anything created with the package.

Dan: But...

MDude: Also expanding the forum registration a little get some name friends-and-family Email addresses phone fax age salary race hobbies humpin habits and so on get a little extra ad targeting info maybe resell the list only to reliable vendors of course and do some promo bulk mailings to anyone who looks likely wouldn't be spam 'cause this is a solid product and we're thinking you guys can just cool your jets a while take a cruise on us we'll handle the details a while you come back refreshed and we've got the Next Big Thing on our hands.

[Dan and Tom exchange silent "topic" messages]

MDude: Hey what are you AAAIIEEEEEE!

In response to Guy T.
On 8/3/00 2:47 pm Guy T. wrote:

MDude: Hey what are you AAAIIEEEEEE!

Hah! Hell, I'll sell out if the money is right! I told you that we were capitalists, didn't I?
In response to Tom H.
Hah! Hell, I'll sell out if the money is right! I told you that we were capitalists, didn't I?

Now you're getting the hang of this business stuff! :)

Actually, most of the stuff in that little mini-drama is stuff I routinely submit to when visiting sites that appeal to me a lot less than BYOND--although I think I'd be a little uneasy about the part where the company gets ownership of the users' creations. (Some sites that provide free Web pages actually have stuff like this buried in their EULA's, although as far as I know they haven't used it... yet.)

What's a little scarier is this scenario:

Mr. X: Hello, is this Mr. Dan and Mr. Tom?... Excellent. My name is Bill... er, just Bill. I have a proposition for you. I'll give each of you one million dollars to completely bury your project. Just replace the site with a farewell page for your users; destroy every disk, backup, and hard copy of the BYOND source code and documentation; and sign an agreement that you won't design or contribute to the development of any programming languages or development environments for public use for the next ten years.

Hmm, what would I do if someone offered me a million dollars to destroy the things I've created up to this point in my life, and promise not to recreate them? That's not an easy question to answer, though I suspect the offer would be hard for me to resist. When I was in college, one of my roommates had a little book full of nothing but weird hypothetical dilemmas like that. It fascinated me, but at the same time it annoyed me...

Well, I think I've pretty thoroughly crossed the line into Babble, so I'll shut up now.
In response to Guy T.
Warning:

This is a long message about boring stuff like profit models and business. Read at your own risk. :)

I've done a lot of thinking about profit models for a lot of things, including games.

Some people are more than willing to create fantastic products such as BYOND for no compensation, but eventually the economic reality slaps most of them in the face. If they could make money doing what they really want to do, they could do away with their pesky day job and work on their programs full time.

The maker of the development tools and the maker of the games both deserve to be paid for their work if they want and I think there are ways to do that without having Draconian licensing arrangements such as the game designer not being able to sell their work, only being able to put the game on a specific server, or having absurd royalty agreements.

Let me say that banner ads are proving to be a horrible marketing tool. People are ignoring them like they do most advertising. In fact, many sites are going to text advertising. I guess to trick people into thinking it's a link within their own site. That will only work for so long, too.

My philsophy is that in order to get people to pay attention to a product, you have to give them a very compelling reason. Just throwing up a banner that says "click me" certainly isn't going to get it done.

Right now, I think the best advertising model might be in game advertising, actually weaving a product or service into the game in some fashion.

I'll give a few examples that I, being a blatent capitalist, would think of as being good ideas:

1.A product giving special powers in a game. For instance, a soft drink might add health or a certain food item might give extra energy. Companies would go ga ga over the prospect of game players searching frantically for their product.

2.An item could be placed in the game that would be a real product. Whoever finds the item wins the product. Again, companies would be thrilled to have people searching for their product.

3.This is one I am personally drooling over. The potential for having an item in the game bring up a Web site when it is used. I am a newbie with BYOND, but I assume this is quite possible to do. When you use the item, you might have a chance of winning the item, getting a discount, or some other benefit.

These are just some of the ideas I thought about for generating revenue. I was also thinking about the potential for forming a consortium of developers that could share a server and do a little collective bargaining with advertisers. It would be a big task, but I would be willing to work on it if some of you would be interested. Basically advertising would be sold and integrated into the games and the profits shared. There would have to be some kind of tracking so the most popular games got compensated more. Let me know if you think it is a good idea.

As far as the makers of BYOND, I think there are several options. I read some good ideas. Selling the book is a good idea, selling server space, hosting a main BYOND launch point and selling ads. As part of a consortium, I for one, would be willing to set aside a percentage of profits to go to BYOND development. After all, it's my best chance for making a good game right now. :)

Comments, critcisms?

I'll stop typing now.

On 8/3/00 6:59 pm Guy T. wrote:

Now you're getting the hang of this business stuff! :)

Actually, most of the stuff in that little mini-drama is stuff I routinely submit to when visiting sites that appeal to me a lot less than BYOND--although I think I'd be a little uneasy about the part where the company gets ownership of the users' creations. (Some sites that provide free Web pages actually have stuff like this buried in their EULA's, although as far as I know they haven't used it... yet.)

What's a little scarier is this scenario:

Mr. X: Hello, is this Mr. Dan and Mr. Tom?... Excellent. My name is Bill... er, just Bill. I have a proposition for you. I'll give each of you one million dollars to completely bury your project. Just replace the site with a farewell page for your users; destroy every disk, backup, and hard copy of the BYOND source code and documentation; and sign an agreement that you won't design or contribute to the development of any programming languages or development environments for public use for the next ten years.

Hmm, what would I do if someone offered me a million dollars to destroy the things I've created up to this point in my life, and promise not to recreate them? That's not an easy question to answer, though I suspect the offer would be hard for me to resist. When I was in college, one of my roommates had a little book full of nothing but weird hypothetical dilemmas like that. It fascinated me, but at the same time it annoyed me...

Well, I think I've pretty thoroughly crossed the line into Babble, so I'll shut up now.
In response to Taipan
On 8/4/00 4:45 pm Taipan wrote:

Comments, critcisms?

Very interesting ideas! I really like this concept of advertising within the game itself. It is quite easy to link to actual product webpages through text output. I can only imagine the ensuing hilarity:

Your hunger needs look to be met by a fresh quarter-pounder, courtesy of America's favorite chain, Mcdonalds.

[click]

mmm .. that hit the spot. [+10 health] But now you're thirsty!

I remember about four or five years ago there were a couple of webpage trivia games that worked along similar lines. You had to go hunt around for clues embedded in certain web pages, with the end goal of matching the clues to answer a question for a large cash prize. I don't know if it actually helped the advertisers or not, but this kind of things is certainly less dry than typical advertisement.

In response to Tom H.
I think companies are desperate to find out what works on the Web and digital medium in general. Most established companies like McDonalds, GM, Coke, are interested in "institutional" advertising, something just to keep their name in the public. They have huge amounts of money to spend on this blanket approach.

New companies, especially the huge wave of tech companies, have been trying to advertise like the huge established companies and finding out it doesn't really work unless people are familiar with you in the first place. Yahoo is doing it now with their "Do You Yahoo?" commercials, but they might have the name recognition to make it work.

But I digress. :)

A lot of companies currently pay money(I'm not sure how much) to get their products featured in games, usually in the form of product placements like they use in the movies. I think companies would pay to have their products featured as part of the games and if you were giving away prizes in the form of the companies products, well, the promise of free stuff tends make people take notice. Even if they don't win the prize, they still might buy the product now that they are familiar with what it is.

If the products have meaning in the game, the players will pay more attention to the product. Most advertising gets ignored, but if people like the game and accept the fact that they need to get a quarter pounder to thrive in the game, then that is as good of advertising as you possibly can get.

For an independent game developers, I think an advertising profit model is the way to go. Oh yeah, and selling movie rights, but that's really dreaming big! :)

As I mentioned in my previous message, I'm really interested in the possibility of getting several developers together and selling advertising to companies as a group.
If you interested, you can email me at:

[email protected]

As you have probably figured out, I'm not shy about sharing my ideas. :)

On 8/4/00 6:07 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 8/4/00 4:45 pm Taipan wrote:

Comments, critcisms?

Very interesting ideas! I really like this concept of advertising within the game itself. It is quite easy to link to actual product webpages through text output. I can only imagine the ensuing hilarity:

Your hunger needs look to be met by a fresh quarter-pounder, courtesy of America's favorite chain, Mcdonalds.

[click]

I remember about four or five years ago there were a couple of webpage trivia games that worked along similar lines. You had to go hunt around for clues embedded in certain web pages, with the end goal of matching the clues to answer a question for a large cash prize. I don't know if it actually helped the advertisers or not, but this kind of things is certainly less dry than typical advertisement.
In response to Tom H.
Hi Tom. I haven't really been following the conversation, but here goes. I don't mind the banner, but up till now we haven't had any really annoying animated ads for outside companies, so who knows. But I wouldn't care if you kept the banner there.

Does anyone like this shared advertising scheme, where the designer has the say in weather they want to flash banners or not (and to a lesser degree, which banners will be flashed)?

I actually love this idea (maybe because it would allow me to make a little money with minimal effort). I don't think it's amateurish. Advertising is pretty much a fact of life, and you guys deserve to make money SOMEhow.

Z
In response to Tom H.
On 8/4/00 6:07 pm Tom H. wrote:

[click]

It's time to own up to my devious advertising plans... I've long desired to make it so that when someone enters Cerulea, they get an ad they must click before they can actually enter the game. I figured that was a pretty unobtrusive way to get a few cents trickling in for my effort. But I wasn't sure it was possible to have a link that both opened an advertiser's site and sent a message to Topic(). Is it?

Z
In response to Zilal
On 8/7/00 10:56 am Zilal wrote:

It's time to own up to my devious advertising plans... I've long desired to make it so that when someone enters Cerulea, they get an ad they must click before they can actually enter the game. I figured that was a pretty unobtrusive way to get a few cents trickling in for my effort. But I wasn't sure it was possible to have a link that both opened an advertiser's site and sent a message to Topic(). Is it?

Yes. You can do this by having the link() to McDonalds (or whatever) be called from within the initial Topic(). For instance:

proc/advertise()
usr << "Come to [a href="byond://#McDonalds"]McDonald's[/a]"

client/Topic(T)
if(T=="McDonalds") usr << link("http://www.McDonalds.com")

Of course you would probably want to organize it a little more cleanly since your Topic() will likely be doing more than just handling your advertising links. I have a couple of thoughts on how this can be done neatly; I think I'll write a tutorial on the subject.
In response to Tom H.

Yes. You can do this by having the link() to McDonalds (or whatever) be called from within the initial Topic(). For instance:

proc/advertise()
usr << "Come to [a href="byond://#McDonalds"]McDonald's[/a]"

client/Topic(T)
if(T=="McDonalds") usr << link("http://www.McDonalds.com")

Ahh... but... how is it that most sites get advertising revenue? I always assumed they signed up with some service that gave them a bit of code to put on their page, which would link to an ever-changing ad banner on some other host site. In which case I would have a problem doing the above.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 8/8/00 11:11 am Zilal wrote:
Ahh... but... how is it that most sites get advertising revenue? I always assumed they signed up with some service that gave them a bit of code to put on their page, which would link to an ever-changing ad banner on some other host site. In which case I would have a problem doing the above.

I guess we'll have to take a look at these advertising code snippets and see how complicated they are. If they are just a url for a banner on another site I think the proposed method would work, since you could pass that url to link() and get your banner-points that way. Presumably the url encodes some originating information (ie- Zilal is the owner), and probably implicitely tracks the ip-address so you can't just click it a million times from one computer. But I'm a newbie here so that's mostly a guess.

If you give me more info I can give you a better assessment as to whether we can currently handle this or not.