ID:259202

I just spent far too much time reworking the internals of this forum (this explains the lack of attentiveness as of recent .. I will get to some of those bugs now!) Basically it occurred to me that if we ever did get a large number of messages (~10-100,000) it wouldn't perform too peachy. I didn't expect that the optimization process would take multiple days though! Hopefully it's not too buggy. Aside from a slight modification in the interface, you shouldn't notice much change. There is a new "Edit" feature that someone requested a while back. Yipee.
I just noticed there's no longer an option to limit the search to a few days back. On the one hand this is good, since I often want to search the whole history, but on the other hand it seems like it could needlessly use a lot of server resources when a person really only wants to catch up on recent events or search for a post from a couple days ago.

Anyway, it's no big deal, but I figured it could be interesting to know the reasoning behind the change!
In response to Guy T.
On 8/16/00 12:01 pm Guy T. wrote:
I just noticed there's no longer an option to limit the search to a few days back. On the one hand this is good, since I often want to search the whole history, but on the other hand it seems like it could needlessly use a lot of server resources when a person really only wants to catch up on recent events or search for a post from a couple days ago.

Anyway, it's no big deal, but I figured it could be interesting to know the reasoning behind the change!

The only reason was laziness (it didn't fall out of the new structure quite as easily) But your comment about cpu suck makes sense, so it's back in there now.
In response to Guy T.
On 8/16/00 12:01 pm Guy T. wrote:

Like me for instance... Oh, wait, I said I was going to bed. Oops.