ID:259210

A Guide to DM
Note (3/3/00):
Although this guide will suffice as an introduction to the language, due to the great influx of new features, it is fairly outdated. We will be introducing a much improved document very shortly, as soon as the proofing is finished.

If you like, I could try to bring the Guide up to date. I think most of the fundamental things still apply, but it's kind of daunting to see that 3/3/00 date and the disclaimer. If you use some special tool for editing it -- I presume you do, since the section headers are broken out into the sidebar -- I guess I'd have to learn that too (hopefully it's freeware!).

On the other hand, maybe it's a good idea to leave it as is, to encourage more people to buy the book! At the very least the Guide should link to the products page... :)
On 9/5/00 7:01 am Guy T. wrote:
A Guide to DM
Note (3/3/00):
Although this guide will suffice as an introduction to the language, due to the great influx of new features, it is fairly outdated. We will be introducing a much improved document very shortly, as soon as the proofing is finished.

I knew this would come up! "Very shortly" is a relative term, you know. We were using it in the context of "very shortly compared to the lifespan of the universe."

Not to worry, though, as I am in the process of reworking some of the old guide and reference. It mainly entails just updating the notation (rather than augmenting topics), since I know it's a major pain for people to read docs that no longer apply to the current state of the code. The reason for waiting this long is that, like you I'm sure, I wanted to have the notation "set in stone" (ie- through the printed book) before attempting to do another rewrite.

The updated guide, of course, is no comparison for Dan's much more comprehensive tome, so those of you with some cash should ignore it and proceed here :)

But I cannot refuse your offer, especially given your considerable linguistic and writing skills. You are more than welcome to edit the guide, but give me a few days to get the updated copy. I think a more fun project, though, would be providing tutorials on some of your expert topics (you know the instance editor far better than we do, for example!). Tutorials of the ilk of "Your First World" seem to be especially helpful to newcomers.

It goes without saying that this "offer" is extended to all who may be watching. But Guy T. volunteered, so I think it is our civic duty to pressure him now.
In response to Tom H.
I think a more fun project, though, would be providing tutorials on some of your expert topics (you know the instance editor far better than we do, for example!).

You sly flatterer! I still have a lot to learn about the instance editor... but it would be nifty to come up with a tutorial for it. It adds a lot of flexibility to an already flexible system. I'll try to come up with something in the very near future.

(But first I have this little game to work on... The Living and the Dead has inspired me.)
In response to Guy T.
On 9/5/00 10:28 am Guy T. wrote:
(But first I have this little game to work on... The Living and the Dead has inspired me.)

Cool -- and Spuzzum is apparently getting inspired by playing the email XCom game.

We're a very inspirational bunch!
In response to Deadron
and Spuzzum is apparently getting inspired by playing the email XCom game.

We're a very inspirational bunch!

Yes, unfortunately, I'm getting so inspired, I had to make a few cuts to my list of games. I cut off the games that I had relative disinterest in.

Now, I have to go to opening day at school, so wish me luck!

(I'll post the cuts to my forum later. Wait until around 3 or 4 PST, though.)