ID:259217

Zilal asked me a question about .rsc size. In thinking about it, I realized sometihing particularly useful that I should pass on.

The .rsc size for your world will tend to grow as you add resources, even if those resources are no longer used. In other words, if you make a few icons for objects in your world, compile the world up, and later decide not to use them, the .rsc file will continue to keep them around. It does this for two reasons:

• Efficiency: resources don't have to be generated into the .rsc on every compilation.
  • Convenience: you can distribute the world.dm, world.dmp, and world.rsc files to someone else and they can compile it all up, without having the actual resource files.

For the most part, it's no big deal, especially if you tend to use all of your resources. Occassionally, though, you may want to remove your .rsc file and recompile the world before you distribute it. That will keep the size down to a minimum. We can add an option to the compiler ("Clean compile") for this purpose. Note, though, that if you don't actually have the .dmi/.mid/.wav/etc files and are relying on the .rsc, this would be disaster!