ID:259223

I picked out a couple juicy sounds and edited them in GoldWave to make them loop as perfectly as I could. But when I brought them into BYOND and used sound('x.wav', 1), I discovered that Dream Seeker puts a brief pause between each repetition -- which is just enough to transform the sounds from something fairly cool into something really irritating.

I seem to recall some past messages indicating that the sound management is tricky to fudge around with; still, if there is a way to get rid of those pauses, I think it would be a useful improvement. Thanks for listening...
On 9/11/00 8:57 pm Guy T. wrote:
I picked out a couple juicy sounds and edited them in GoldWave to make them loop as perfectly as I could. But when I brought them into BYOND and used sound('x.wav', 1), I discovered that Dream Seeker puts a brief pause between each repetition -- which is just enough to transform the sounds from something fairly cool into something really irritating.

I seem to recall some past messages indicating that the sound management is tricky to fudge around with; still, if there is a way to get rid of those pauses, I think it would be a useful improvement. Thanks for listening...

Darn. I've tested the looping with lengthy midi files and it seems to be pretty good, but you are right about the pause. Better sound handling is on The List. Mainly, this means being able to determine the sound length yourself and hopefully supporting seamless merging and repetition. I'll keep this in mind. Keep the sound around in case I need something to test later.
In response to Tom H.
On 9/11/00 10:05 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 9/11/00 8:57 pm Guy T. wrote:

Darn. I've tested the looping with lengthy midi files and it seems to be pretty good, but you are right about the pause. Better sound handling is on The List. Mainly, this means being able to determine the sound length yourself and hopefully supporting seamless merging and repetition. I'll keep this in mind. Keep the sound around in case I need something to test later.

Well, the problem is, there is a small delay while mmtask gets called. So unless you switch to a different system, there will always be lag before the sound...
In response to Spuzzum
Better sound handling is on The List. Mainly, this means being able to determine the sound length yourself and hopefully supporting seamless merging and repetition. I'll keep this in mind. Keep the sound around in case I need something to test later.

Will do... thanks. In the meantime I'll try to find some good midis! :)

Well, the problem is, there is a small delay while mmtask gets called. So unless you switch to a different system, there will always be lag before the sound...

Mmm, mmtask. :P
In response to Guy T.
Mmm, mmtask. :P

Oh, man, I walked into that one... =P