ID:259224

I just looked through Dream Seeker's options, feeling sure that there was some way to handle this by now, but I didn't notice anything, so here goes:

If NumLock was active before starting Dream Seeker, it's still active after starting Dream Seeker.

Whenever it happens, it's a very minor detail. But cumulatively, it's a big annoyance. Not only do you have to manually disable NumLock, you also have to delete whatever numbers got typed before you realized what was going on.

Of course, when I encounter it, my irritation is mitigated by the fact that I know it's nobody's fault but my own-- I should've learned by now. But it's not inconceivable that some percentage of future BYOND users will actually be stymied by it.

Food for thought, anyway!
On 9/13/00 4:31 pm Guy T. wrote:
I just looked through Dream Seeker's options, feeling sure that there was some way to handle this by now, but I didn't notice anything, so here goes:

If NumLock was active before starting Dream Seeker, it's still active after starting Dream Seeker.

Whenever it happens, it's a very minor detail. But cumulatively, it's a big annoyance. Not only do you have to manually disable NumLock, you also have to delete whatever numbers got typed before you realized what was going on.

This frequently kills me in L&D -- when I'm running like a baby, I stop using the mouse and start using the keys for finer control -- except it turns out to be no control, as I run into a wall and get killed while slamming at NumLock and delete...

I must be dense, as I don't quite understand the problem. Is it that num lock doesn't save its state when toggled from within Dream Seeker?

Clarification appreciated :)
In response to Tom H.
On 9/13/00 6:05 pm Tom H. wrote:

I must be dense, as I don't quite understand the problem. Is it that num lock doesn't save its state when toggled from within Dream Seeker?

Clarification appreciated :)

For me (and I assume this is what Guy is talking about too), the problem is that NumLock needs to be off to use the number pad for movement, but DreamSeeker doesn't turn NumLock off for you.

So everytime you start a session of playing BYOND, at some point you are likely to run into the problem that your NumLock is set incorrectly for BYOND. And of course this is the point when the Enhanced Spectre of Death is whacking away at you.
In response to Deadron
On 9/13/00 6:15 pm Deadron wrote:

For me (and I assume this is what Guy is talking about too), the problem is that NumLock needs to be off to use the number pad for movement, but DreamSeeker doesn't turn NumLock off for you.

So everytime you start a session of playing BYOND, at some point you are likely to run into the problem that your NumLock is set incorrectly for BYOND. And of course this is the point when the Enhanced Spectre of Death is whacking away at you.

Ah. To be honest, I'm not sure if I can control the numlock state from within the program. I think it is hard-wired into the board. It might be possible to ignore the numlock and relay those numerical values as movement commands. I'll check it out.
In response to Tom H.
Ah. To be honest, I'm not sure if I can control the numlock state from within the program. I think it is hard-wired into the board. It might be possible to ignore the numlock and relay those numerical values as movement
commands. I'll check it out.

I'm almost certain I've seen software toggle the state of NumLock before -- but note the key word "almost." :) Anyway, thanks for investigating.
In response to Guy T.
BIOS can change it, but I don't think you can have software control over it, at least not in protected-mode Windows. Perhaps in DOS, but thats irrelevant..

-AbyssDragon