ID:259235

Yay! We have liftoff.

I'm killing the server at newdream.net, so if you changed your dantom-address preference be sure to reset it (to an empty field).

Let me know if you experience any problems. We'll start getting the other account services setup this week.

252 should definitely be out later tonight (or tommorow morning, as is often the case).
On 9/26/00 1:45 pm Tom H. wrote:
Yay! We have liftoff.

I'm killing the server at newdream.net, so if you changed your dantom-address preference be sure to reset it (to an empty field).

Let me know if you experience any problems. We'll start getting the other account services setup this week.

252 should definitely be out later tonight (or tommorow morning, as is often the case).

Ah, after my long withdrawal things are back to normal!

Experience so far is that some stuff seems much faster with the new server -- like, initial loading of the game. However, movement in L&D can get nauseatingly jerky -- I think that's some combo of my movement code and how smooth movement is being handled.

Finally got to try out Space Tug!

Result: I suck.

Further result: I suck so bad I can't even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing exactly.

But I sure do die pretty.
In response to Deadron
On 9/26/00 5:48 pm Deadron wrote:

Experience so far is that some stuff seems much faster with the new server -- like, initial loading of the game.

That's good to hear. The main advantage of this server is not the speed (it's actually a lesser machine than the other one), but the fact that we have full control over it, which means that we don't have to worry about processes getting out of control and pissing off our superiors. Since there isn't anything running on it right now, I would imagine that it would be pretty fast, though. We're also on an excellent network backbone.

However, movement in L&D can get nauseatingly jerky -- I think that's some combo of my movement code and how smooth movement is being handled.

Yes, the smooth movement needs to be improved. We'll look into that soon.

Finally got to try out Space Tug!

Good! I suck too. This should be a fun GoB game.
In response to Deadron

Further result: I suck so bad I can't even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing exactly.

But I sure do die pretty.

Strategy: Open the door at the south end of the start room. If the alien is there, slam the door and run to the other door. Otherwise, run out and grab the prod. Now, if the alien comes near you, turn towards it and click on it. Zap! It'll run away for a short time. Use this time to run like mad down the hallway to the east. Go past the ladder and continue into the hallway, going into the south door. Then, close it behind you, move down to the console, and open both the outer doors. Then, wait about a minute or two until the alien is sucked into space. Then go back to the start room and go to bed.
In response to Tom H.
On 9/26/00 6:09 pm Tom H. wrote:
However, movement in L&D can get nauseatingly jerky -- I think that's some combo of my movement code and how smooth movement is being handled.

Yes, the smooth movement needs to be improved. We'll look into that soon.

I don't think my complaint is related to the standard "smooth movement" item. When I play locally, it's fine. But on the server I'm getting a jerkiness that is unpleasant.

Maybe lag exaggerates the issue.
In response to Spuzzum
Then go back to the start room and go to bed.

Ho-ho! I'm tickled that you worked out and wrote up a solid strategy for survival. But at the same time I'm sorry that, within a couple days, it will all be in vain... MWAH hah hah hah hah! :)
In response to Guy T.
On 9/26/00 8:33 pm Guy T. wrote:
Then go back to the start room and go to bed.

Ho-ho! I'm tickled that you worked out and wrote up a solid strategy for survival. But at the same time I'm sorry that, within a couple days, it will all be in vain... MWAH hah hah hah hah! :)

Wrote up? Maybe in my mind! =)

I'll bet you'll let the damned critter open doors. Could you at least give us some potentially lethal weaponry? I want to make that sucker bleed! I'll stick him like a raw side of beef! I want to blow off each of his extremities, one by one! I want to rip out his eyes and drop them behind him so he can watch me kick the crap out of him!

I can't wait for your flamethrower. "Hey, you slimy piece of [yodelaydeeoo]... got a light?"

You're trying to scare someone who laughs when he plays Quake II. And people say Canadians are passive. Bah. =)
On 9/26/00 1:45 pm Tom H. wrote:

Er .. I'd better edit that!

Make that later _tonight_.

BTW, this may seem like a major release (and the novelesque release-notes will further that impression), but it isn't really. We've just changed the installation package dramatically and made a few other tweaks. Hopefully there won't be any new major bugs.

There's one more item on the docket after this release, and then we are going to sit pretty for a while, devoting our time to building demos and making the world hub easily usable. And, of course, we'll get the account system going here so you can take full advantage of the new server.

Stay tuned!
In response to Spuzzum
Wrote up? Maybe in my mind! =)

I should say, took the time to write up for the Forum. I didn't picture you just sitting at home playing ST and thinking, "Wow... I better write a strategy guide for this before I forget how it works!" :)

I'll bet you'll let the damned critter open doors.

I've considered it seriously, but I probably won't. The way I figure it is that some ST games will end up being real easy; some will be real deadly; but most will end up with some players dead and some surviving. If I can get an average mortality rate of 50%, I won't mind if the humans win frequently. :)

Could you at least give us some potentially lethal weaponry? I want to make that sucker bleed! I'll stick him like a raw side of beef! I want to blow off each of his extremities, one by one! I want to rip out his eyes and drop them behind him so he can watch me kick the crap out of him!

I can't wait for your flamethrower. "Hey, you slimy piece of [yodelaydeeoo]... got a light?"

I think I can accommodate you there! Be careful what you wish for, though... etc., etc....

You're trying to scare someone who laughs when he plays Quake II. And people say Canadians are passive. Bah. =)

Oh, not passive... just inscrutable. Or maybe that's the Chinese I'm thinking of. :)

Unfortunately, it's very easy for video games to scare the bejeebers out of me...

In response to Tom H.
There's one more item on the docket after this release, and then we are going to sit pretty for a while, devoting our time to building demos and making the world hub easily usable.

And, of course, we'll get the account system going here so you can take full advantage of the new server.

Who takes advantage of who? Us of the server, or the server of us? =)
In response to Tom H.

...or tomorrow morning, as is often the case. :)
In response to Guy T.
On 9/28/00 5:53 am Guy T. wrote:

...or tomorrow morning, as is often the case. :)

Well, "tomorrow morning" is now officially over. Liars! =)

Then again, I was supposed to release AntWorld 10 months ago. Oops.

Well, now its telling me that its out. I guess I'll have to twiddle my thumbs till South Park is on, though.
In response to Spuzzum
On 9/28/00 10:32 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Well, now its telling me that its out. I guess I'll have to twiddle my thumbs till South Park is on, though.

Don't wait up! It should be out within a few hours; right now I'm stuck on an annoying bug that is holding things up.
In response to Tom H.
On 9/29/00 12:19 am Tom H. wrote:

Don't wait up! It should be out within a few hours; right now I'm stuck on an annoying bug that is holding things up.

Dagnabit! That bug took me six hours to diagnose! Everything is now working, but I fear that in my tired state I will screw up the upload/documentation, so I will do it later this afternoon after I catch some zzzs.