ID:259240

The stable version of 252 (hopefully this next release, but likely a patch or two later) will be our last one for some time. Huzzah!

Sounds good. Have you tried checking the source code with "lint"? If not, it might be worthwhile giving it a spin sometime before the Big Release... don't know if it'd help, but it (probably) couldn't hurt.

The two platforms will be integrated quite seamlessly, allowing you to, for instance, write cgi scripts in DM that will operate on the web. Moreover, the hub and pager will be web entities, displaying the information about (running) worlds and logged-in players without the necessity of the client.

Neato!

So, any chance that 252 will be ready in time for GoB (4 pm PST, 7 pm EST)? If not, that's fine, but this could be a great chance to test it out. Of course, we could always have another GoB later in the week too (in fact, it sounds like the new setup will do a lot to lure people to the Hub on a regular basis).
On 10/1/00 9:26 am Guy T. wrote:
The two platforms will be integrated quite seamlessly, allowing you to, for instance, write cgi scripts in DM that will operate on the web. Moreover, the hub and pager will be web entities, displaying the information about (running) worlds and logged-in players without the necessity of the client.

Neato!

I think this will be very interesting -- it opens up the possibility of web games and dynamic websites and integration of website into games in ways we probably haven't thought of yet.

Once I see how it works, I'm pretty likely to put together a website library. The scripting system I use now to generate my static website (Userland Frontier) has some good ideas for structure, but isn't nearly as usable as DM -- so I'll steal from them where I can!
On 10/1/00 9:26 am Guy T. wrote:

So, any chance that 252 will be ready in time for GoB (4 pm PST, 7 pm EST)? If not, that's fine, but this could be a great chance to test it out. Of course, we could always have another GoB later in the week too (in fact, it sounds like the new setup will do a lot to lure people to the Hub on a regular basis).

It looks like it's not quite ready (again). Actually, this is probably a good thing, though, because this new release completely changes the install around so if it happens to not work properly it will be a royal pain to switch back to a stable version in time for a game session.

Alas, I can't make it to this week's GoB either. It happens to conflict with my one planned event over the course of the week! I'd like to have another one during the week sometime to test out the new release.

A point of clarification: the 252 release, despite all of the hoopla, isn't really a big thing. It has numerous bug fixes, a few new interface features and adds a little functionality to the mapper, but most people won't even notice. It also doesn't make the aforementioned web/byond changes (although it does introduce a cgi library to get things started); those are all based off of programs on our server here, and will be the focus of next week's efforts. This new release does change the install quite a bit; this was introduced in order to cleanly support multiple account settings on the same machine, which is important in the unix version. Those of you with accounts on our new server will have a byond directory similar to the one on your windows box. This will service as a root directory for any worlds or byond-cgi scripts you run off the server. It will make more sense when you see it for yourself, though!

Have a good time with the GoB. I'll try to be back with the release later in the evening (there are a couple more issues to resolve yet). For those of you interested, the last-minute feature I tried to squeeze in was supporting a setting to get the stat window in a format similar to the browse window. I thought this would be useful for the GoB, since many of the games run in larger maps and thus require that small-icon mode to allow accessiblity to the stat panel on smaller displays. It turned out to be a bit of an "interface pickle", if you will!