ID:259243

I hope it fixes the path problem (especially for you Spuzzum .. it actually made sense this time). I'm a bit concerned because the fix is a real hack. The version of installshield I am using is really outdated and doesn't support an important long-path feature needed for the registry, so some of the values aren't properly represented. On the plus side, I was able to reproduce the problem and things now work fine on my machine here, so I'm hoping this did the trick. If you do upgrade to 253 you may want to backup the byondwin.dll file before overwriting it just in case this "fix" actually screws things up worse (in which case you can go back to the 252 assignment, done through this dll). I doubt that will be the case though.

We are seriously going to stop coding big features for a while now. We will of course put out bug fixes as they come in, and will drop in the occassional feature here and there, but we don't want to do anything major until we can get the web portal stable and start publicizing.

Of course, we've been saying this for about two years now, so take it for what it's worth. The difference this time, though, is that we actually have substantial expenses now so are really pressing to expanding this venture.

I hope we can get some more chatter in these forums. I am hoping that over the next few months, with the advent of this convenient web/byond hosting system, we will develop many games and have a constant influx of players and developers. Let's hear some ideas!
BMPs now support transparency. The color RGB(192,192,192) is considered to be a mask, so anything beneath bits of such color on the map will show through. This is, incidentally, the same color used for the default mask on the icon editor. (Guy T.)

All BMP's, or just BMP's used as big icons? If the former, maybe I better start getting ready to respond to those forwarded emails... *gulp* Well, we'll see what happens! Thanks for the change.

We are seriously going to stop coding big features for a while now. We will of course put out bug fixes as they come in, and will drop in the occassional feature here and there, but we don't want to do anything major until we can get the web portal stable and start publicizing.

Good plan!
Forgive me for being out of the loop... is there a reason the Dream Seeker frequently crashes when I try to access worlds? It was doing it with my old version and now that I've upgraded to 253, it's still doing it.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/6/00 2:30 pm Zilal wrote:
Forgive me for being out of the loop... is there a reason the Dream Seeker frequently crashes when I try to access worlds? It was doing it with my old version and now that I've upgraded to 253, it's still doing it.

Z

Assuming that's not a new feature, I'm curious if you did an uninstall before installing 253?
In response to Zilal
On 10/6/00 2:30 pm Zilal wrote:

Yikes. That's not good. Are these worlds online? If so, tell me the addresses and I'll try. If they are offline, maybe you could zip one up and send it to me.

My guess is that they involve old-style corrupted savefiles that are somehow screwing us up, so if it's possible you might want to try removing all savefiles and reconnecting.
In response to Tom H.
On 10/6/00 2:54 pm Tom H. wrote:
Yikes. That's not good. Are these worlds online? If so, tell me the addresses and I'll try.

Oh, yes... dantom and dantom#hub, among others. The DS was crashing before I even got the popup asking if I wanted to connect.

For Deadron... no, I didn't uninstall first. Think I should? Originally I didn't because I didn't see what harm it would do to install on top of 448 or whatever my previous version was.

J
In response to Zilal
On 10/8/00 10:27 am Zilal wrote:
Yikes. That's not good. Are these worlds online? If so, tell me the addresses and I'll try.

Oh, yes... dantom and dantom#hub, among others. The DS was crashing before I even got the popup asking if I wanted to connect.

For Deadron... no, I didn't uninstall first. Think I should? Originally I didn't because I didn't see what harm it would do to install on top of 448 or whatever my previous version was.

J

I'd recommend it -- this was a pretty big jump in structure -- folders moved around and such.
In response to Zilal
On 10/8/00 10:27 am Zilal wrote:

I don't think it should matter much either, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

This is really bothersome. Do any of the programs work? Can you run Dream Maker? If so, then at least you are accessing the new configuration stuff correctly. If not, then that is likely to be the source of the problem, and it might make my life easier to know that.

I'm not sure what to do next. If we can't find the fix soon I can send you an older version (damn .. wish I hadn't removed them all) and we can see if that still works. I was hoping to get your opinion on 252, because it includes that EXE distribution for which you were such a big proponent.
In response to Tom H.
On 10/8/00 3:04 pm Tom H. wrote:

Also, are you using Win95? Perhaps the new timing mechanism isn't working correctly there. I'll see if I can test that.

I guess I would recommend doing an uninstall of whatever BYOND stuff you can, then explicitely removing the BYOND directory, then reinstalling. Tell me what works, and what doesn't, and when things crash. For instance, do you get crashes only upon connection? Can you sit there at the prompt without connecting? Can you run a world locally? Is it only Dream Seeker? How about Dream Daemon (that uses the same timing system)?

If it turns out to be the timing I can simply turn on a switch that reverts it to the old-style for Win95 (or whatever). I dug around in some newsgroups just now and didn't see any mention of this, though, so it would be suprising.
In response to Tom H.
On 10/8/00 3:18 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 10/8/00 3:04 pm Tom H. wrote:

Also, are you using Win95?

Yes...

Tell me what works, and what doesn't, and when things crash. For instance, do you get crashes only upon connection? Can you sit there at the prompt without connecting? Can you run a world locally? Is it only Dream Seeker? How about Dream Daemon (that uses the same timing system)?

Well... I'd love to tell you, but I haven't experienced any more crashing. Which is odd, because for a couple days about every third time I tried to connect to something, the DS crashed... whether I was using 448, 453 or an even older version on a friend's computer. But no crashes since.

Can you run Dream Maker?

Yes.

I was hoping to get your opinion on 252, because it includes that EXE distribution for which you were such a big proponent.

A big proponent, eh? I only remember saying single-player games would be more feasible without a second download... but if that's all it takes to get new features, more power to us!

Z