ID:259272

Has there been any recent change, say, within the last week or two, in the way BYOND handles MIDI files? For some reason, occasionally they seem to be getting temporarily corrupted... the instruments use different pitches and timbres. Playing a known good MIDI on my own machine seems to solve the problem. I can't say for sure that it's BYOND's fault, but I figured I'd ask...
On 12/18/00 6:43 pm Guy T. wrote:
Has there been any recent change, say, within the last week or two, in the way BYOND handles MIDI files? For some reason, occasionally they seem to be getting temporarily corrupted... the instruments use different pitches and timbres. Playing a known good MIDI on my own machine seems to solve the problem. I can't say for sure that it's BYOND's fault, but I figured I'd ask...

I don't recall touching the sound stuff anytime in the last few months. If you give me a test case I can try it out for myself though.
In response to Tom H.
On 12/18/00 6:55 pm Tom H. wrote:

I don't recall touching the sound stuff anytime in the last few months. If you give me a test case I can try it out for myself though.

Try playing DragonSnot...I've been noticing all day that the music will suddenly slow down a bit or do a sudden repeat of a couple of notes.

Doubtful this applies to any of your circumstances, but sometimes some sound cards lack a GS reset that clears the soundtable and restores the instrument banks to their original form.

The Roland Sound Canvas Daughterboard is a prime example; it gives amazing MIDI on my end, but it frequently screws up in BYOND because BYOND and the SCDB-15 lack any GS resets whatsoever.

If you're wondering, you can find and download gsreset.mid in most search engines. It reinitializes all musical instruments to their original form (in about a third of a second...) I'm too lazy to find it myself... I have no idea what Sound Blaster or whatever do, but they have GS resets (and my SB Live! works fine).