ID:259276

It appears that PayDimes() automatically returns true if the user isn't connected to the Internet. It strikes me that it would be more appropriate to return 0. Discuss!

On 1/20/01 12:38 pm Guy T. wrote:
It appears that PayDimes() automatically returns true if the user isn't connected to the Internet. It strikes me that it would be more appropriate to return 0. Discuss!

Guy, you are a genius, as always.

Z
On 1/20/01 12:38 pm Guy T. wrote:

Can you give me an example of what you are seeing? I did a couple of offline tests with PayDimes() and never got it to return anything, which strikes me as a bit odd because the connection should have timed out. Is it just returning a "success" immediately when you test it? That would definitely be wrong. It should at least report the inability to establish a network connection.
In response to Tom H.
Is it just returning a "success" immediately when you test it? That would definitely be wrong.

Hmph... that's what it was doing, but of course now I can't duplicate it. Maybe it was programmer error. I'll keep a lookout for it.
In response to Guy T.
On 1/23/01 8:38 pm Guy T. wrote:
Is it just returning a "success" immediately when you test it? That would definitely be wrong.

Hmph... that's what it was doing, but of course now I can't duplicate it. Maybe it was programmer error. I'll keep a lookout for it.

So is it returning a failure (0) now, or is it just not returning? My cable-modem connection causes my offline networking to act a bit funky so I never know if I am seeing the same things as the rest of you.

Anyway, Dan told me he'll look into this too, since it would definitely be a bad glitch to have.
In response to Tom H.
Anyway, Dan told me he'll look into this too, since it would definitely be a bad glitch to have.

This is the code I saw the problem in... the other night it would print "Thank you!" as soon as I clicked "Yes!".

Did I change something between then and now? Did I dream it all? I sure didn't have any luck duplicating the problem last night, so I may have just been misinterpreting results once again. Well, I guess it can't hurt to go over the BYONDimes code one more time, regardless. If there's one thing you can count on customers to get touchy about, it's money! :)

proc/Beg()
var/confirmText = "Yes!"
var/payNow = alert(mob, "Would you like to donate one BYONDime toward bonus shares for the engineers?", \
"Sporadic grovelware prompt", confirmText, "Not now")
if(payNow == confirmText)
if(mob.client.PayDimes(1,"Gughunter","SpaceTug donation"))
mob << "Thank you!"