ID:259280

Is it possible to make purchases from the Products section payable thru PayPal? Or is there a reason why you don't use it?
Is it possible to make purchases from the Products section payable thru PayPal? Or is there a reason why you don't use it?

I think the idea is probably to encourage people to use BYONDimes (though I don't know offhand whether they actually allow you to buy the book with BYONDimes!). If you search way, way back in the forums, I think PayPal was actually discussed at one time... heck, I'll go look...

Okay, here's what Tom said on August 31 of 2000:
Since we'd prefer tighter control over the billing for the hosting and future commerce services, we're currently getting approved for an online merchant account via our new secure server. If that doesn't work out, we'll use PayPal or one of the other derivatives.

It's an interesting question. It would be great if everyone started a BYONDimes account. But on the other hand, it would be a shame if Dantom lost potential revenue by not offering an already-ubiquitous payment option like PayPal. Hopefully Tom will give us an update on Dantom's thoughts.

In response to Guy T.
On 2/7/01 2:17 pm Guy T. wrote:
It's an interesting question. It would be great if everyone started a BYONDimes account. But on the other hand, it would be a shame if Dantom lost potential revenue by not offering an already-ubiquitous payment option like PayPal.

Any venture has some key decisions to make that might or might not be critical...in this case, in order to have an in-game real-time payment system, BYONDimes has been created. And something to keep in mind is that the system was conceived of and initially implemented long before Pay-Pal ever existed.

As long as BYONDimes exists, Dantom clearly should make use of it everywhere in order to make sure it works and to encourage its use. (Yes, you can buy the book with BYONDimes...)

It may turn out that BYONDimes is too high a barrier and that Dantom should consider adopting Pay-Pal or some other system. But this system is just getting started rolling, so there's no way to know yet.
On 2/7/01 1:47 pm Mr. Sanity wrote:

Are you referring to purchases of Dantom items (like the book, hosting, etc), or of your own wares (BYOND Shop)? For the former, I guess I just assumed that the credit-card billing is always preferable to PayPal, which seems to mainly be used for transactions in which neither party has a merchant account. When given the option, would people rather pay through PayPal then through a credit card? If so, I don't see why we couldn't support that.
In response to Deadron
On 2/7/01 3:00 pm Deadron wrote:
On 2/7/01 2:17 pm Guy T. wrote:
It's an interesting question. It would be great if everyone started a BYONDimes account. But on the other hand, it would be a shame if Dantom lost potential revenue by not offering an already-ubiquitous payment option like PayPal.

Any venture has some key decisions to make that might or might not be critical...in this case, in order to have an in-game real-time payment system, BYONDimes has been created. And something to keep in mind is that the system was conceived of and initially implemented long before Pay-Pal ever existed.

As long as BYONDimes exists, Dantom clearly should make use of it everywhere in order to make sure it works and to encourage its use. (Yes, you can buy the book with BYONDimes...)

It may turn out that BYONDimes is too high a barrier and that Dantom should consider adopting Pay-Pal or some other system. But this system is just getting started rolling, so there's no way to know yet.

I completely understand the uses and benefits of BYONDimes, and I think it's a cool idea too. But, not all people have credit cards, and allowing people to use PayPal (at least so they can start a BYONDimes account) would remove a barrier of entry to using BYONDimes. After all, most people are NOT patient enough to hassle with using checks/money orders and having to wait, when they are interested in having results in the here and now. This speed can also be a benefit to people who want to "cash out," so that Dantom doesn't need to cut a check, and can instead perform a transaction to someone's PayPal account, if they deem to have one. So, from my point of view, allowing people to use PayPal can be an advantage for the BYONDimes system.
In response to Mr. Sanity
On 2/8/01 9:31 am Mr. Sanity wrote:
But, not all people have credit cards, and allowing people to use PayPal (at least so they can start a BYONDimes account) would remove a barrier of entry to using BYONDimes.

Ah, letting people fill their BYONDimes wallet from a PayPal account was not something I had considered. Sounds like a great idea to me.
In response to Deadron
On 2/8/01 10:36 am Deadron wrote:
On 2/8/01 9:31 am Mr. Sanity wrote:
But, not all people have credit cards, and allowing people to use PayPal (at least so they can start a BYONDimes account) would remove a barrier of entry to using BYONDimes.

Ah, letting people fill their BYONDimes wallet from a PayPal account was not something I had considered. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I don't know if you folks at Dantom have given this any thought, but do you think it's feasible to at least allow PayPal to be used to start a BYONDimes account?
In response to Guy T.
I would use PayPal to deposit BYONDimes. I know that my friends (offline) don't want to have to use BYONDimes to pay to become testers for my games. I'd have them pay me in person and then deposit them into my wallet through PayPal.
In response to Spastic
I would use PayPal to deposit BYONDimes. I know that my friends (offline) don't want to have to use BYONDimes to pay to become testers for my games.

Why don't you have them pay in person and then just give them chars or let them download the game?

Adding support for PayPal is actually already on my list. Now that I know there are some interested parties, maybe it will move up a little higher!

Another thing we could offer for US folks is payment by electronic check. I have not researched the PayPal system, but I imagine this is something they also offer. You would just input the bank routing numbers from your check and could skip the whole bother of sending it through the mail.

--Dan
In response to Kaidorin
On 2/26/01 1:05 pm Kaidorin wrote:
I would use PayPal to deposit BYONDimes. I know that my friends (offline) don't want to have to use BYONDimes to pay to become testers for my games.

Why don't you have them pay in person and then just give them chars or let them download the game?

I'd still have to send the money in... PayPal would let me. otherwise there just giving me money that i'd probably lose.