ID:259284

for(var/obj/weapon/W in usr)

Woohoo! Another victory for the forces of concise code. Now I just have to remember to use it.

Runner-up: The command-line now expands compound names from any individual word in the name.

The other stuff is good too. :)
On 2/12/01 4:46 am Guy T. wrote:
for(var/obj/weapon/W in usr)

As you can imagine, having that extra declaration on the line above has long disturbed the anal programmer in me -- this is indeed a victory for all mankind!

I agree with your assessment! I've been putting the variable declaration right above the for() statement for months now, in preparation for the time when they could be merged together.

However, I want to emphasize the most useful line in the release notes:

client/command_text = "say "

Everybody who has written a "party" game, please make use of this! If players are just clicking verbs, the command line exists solely for chatting, and new players may walk away from BYOND thinking they have to click 'say' every time they want to talk, which would be a pitty.

--Dan
In response to Dan
However, I want to emphasize the most useful line in the release notes:

> client/command_text = "say "
>

Everybody who has written a "party" game, please make use of this! If players are just clicking verbs, the command line exists solely for chatting, and new players may walk away from BYOND thinking they have to click 'say' every time they want to talk, which would be a pitty.

Oh, good idea... I bet Sidewalk Santas, Cribbage, and Conflict could all benefit from this! Thanks for pointing it out.
In response to Deadron
I dont know what that means but, Great job anyway lol!

OmegaRed
In response to OmegaRed
I dont know what that means but, Great job anyway lol!

It's just a nicer way of programming. Instead of the old way, which made you write it like this:

var/obj/weapon/W
for(W in usr) usr << "You're carrying [W]."

You can now do it with a single line like this:

for(var/obj/weapon/W in usr) usr << "You're carrying [W]."

Just a little thing... except it comes up so frequently in programming that it's a definite improvement!