ID:259294

I have a ton of MP3's that i want to add to my game...but i want to know if they would work on byond. If they do plz tell me ASAP....if they don't, can u add it to ur next update in BYOND plz.
On 3/9/01 2:42 pm Little Saiyan wrote:
I have a ton of MP3's that i want to add to my game...but i want to know if they would work on byond. If they do plz tell me ASAP....

Unfortunately, they do not.

if they don't, can u add it to ur next update in BYOND plz.

It's not quite that simple! BYOND uses mmtask, Microsoft's behind-the-scenes multimedia player, and mmtask has no idea what the heck MP3's even are.

I've bugged Dantom about sounds often, so it's probably on their list, somewhere, to change how their sound works. But it's not a priority...
In response to Spuzzum
On 3/9/01 3:20 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I have a ton of MP3's that i want to add to my game...but i want to know if they would work on byond. If they do plz tell me ASAP....

Unfortunately, they do not.

Yes, that's true, but depending on your intentions, you may be just fine converting your MP3s to WAV files and using those directly. If you have a bunch of little sound files, WAVs should be ok. But if you were planning on having complete songs as background music, forget it. Even if BYOND supported MP3, your typical song is 4-5 megabtes in MP3 format. That would take the better part of an hour to download on a 56k modem, just for the background music! And forget about doing anything of the sort with a WAV of the same thing: it'd be about 40-50 megs!

WinAmp and a host of other programs out there will all convert MP3 to WAV.

if they don't, can u add it to ur next update in BYOND plz.

It's not quite that simple! BYOND uses mmtask, Microsoft's behind-the-scenes multimedia player, and mmtask has no idea what the heck MP3's even are.

I've bugged Dantom about sounds often, so it's probably on their list, somewhere, to change how their sound works. But it's not a priority...

Spuzzum's absolutely right. It wouldn't be a trivial task for them to add MP3 support. But I was thinking, perhaps this kind of scheme would be easier: rather than playing the MP3 files directly in BYOND, convert them to WAV first and play those from the cache. This could help minimize the download times for larger WAV files, but at the same time shouldn't require so much work to get it up and running. You could even call an external program if one exists that could do the conversion without user intervention.

A couple of useful links if you ever decide to look into it further:

mp3-tech.org, look in Programmer's Corner. mpg123 seems like a good bet, but you do have to contact the author before you use it in a commercial product. I assume you would want to stay away from GPL decoders for obvious reasons.

XAudio: this looks like the easiest route to go - you should be able to get up and running pretty quickly in house, but I don't know what their license terms are for commercial use (you have to submit a form just to get the commercial license).
In response to Air Mapster
One thing to remember, is that allot of people have slow modems so you may want to rethink making your game too big with large MP3's or people will be stuck downloading for a long time.
I'd rather use them too but I'm gonna use Midi, it's soooo much smaller.
I have a ton of MP3's that i want to add to my game...but i want to know if they would work on byond. If they do plz tell me ASAP....if they don't, can u add it to ur next update in BYOND plz.

I agree with the other posts, but if you really want MP3 in your game, I suppose you could get a MP3-plugin (streaming?) and write something clever that displays a html-page with the plugin.

Side note: I've been thinking about having a user-interface written in Flash in the browser window, that interacts with the game. Could be something...

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
Side note: I've been thinking about having a user-interface written in Flash in the browser window, that interacts with the game. Could be something...

You're not the first to think about that! =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 3/10/01 3:52 pm Spuzzum wrote:

So, is it doable?

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
On 3/11/01 7:50 am Gazoot. wrote:
On 3/10/01 3:52 pm Spuzzum wrote:

So, is it doable?

Should be; you'd just put in a byond://#topic for different parts of your interface. But I don't know enough Flash to try it out.