ID:259295

We'll probably release 276 (whoops, thanks Guy!) early next week. It contains quite a few bug fixes and a lot of internal optimization in the network code. Unfortunately, this will invalidate the servers (that is, you'll need the new client to use the new server, including the games at dantom), but we want everyone to be up to speed with the releases anyway. As you can see, they are coming a lot less frequently now, which I consider a good thing since it keeps things stable. As with all releases involving internal changes, this next release will probably (okay, definitely :) have a few bugs, but overall it should improve performance and stability and we will do our best to expediently patch any problems. Possibly related: once you have 276 installed you should (in theory) never have to upgrade through the web page-- all subsequent releases can be downloaded and installed right through DS!

As promised, we are trying to avoid the feature-creep. The main addition in this next release is the ability for the hub to not only manage game connections, but also to distribute and link to code libraries and tutorials. You'll be able to "subscribe" to a library (like Deadron's toolkit) and automatically have the programs update the code when new versions come in. It should really help unify the coding community. This will replace the much-outdated DM InfoCenter (finally!)

Unrelated to the release, but we'll also be upgrading this forum with a few new features and a new login scheme (actually, the same key-based scheme used in the hub and console). If you are currently posting under an identity for which you don't have a key, you may want to claim that key now.

As always, thanks for all of the input on the forums. We've even been logging some of your requests (and re-requests, damn you) :)
That's good news. I'll even install the update at the first opportunity and take my chances with the bugs. :)

One detail, though: you might want to reconsider the version number! I think 274 might confuse some of us...
As always, thanks for all of the input on the forums. We've even been logging some of your requests (and re-requests, damn you)

Damn straight! Since I wasn't working on the game that needs the ASCII graphics (it's for one of the one's I zipped away), there's no rush, but it'd still be nice to have so that when I get AntWorld into beta (I'll use the dreaded word; "soon") I can switch production over to it and BYOND can have a traditional multiplayer roguelike! It'd be a manner of posting to rec.games.roguelikes and voila! in the people would storm. =)