ID:259297

You guys should make a code thing so when people swear they automatically get a warning by the system. Whe they get three warnings, the game will delete their character. I would like to add this to my game, and i think it would make all those poor sports shut up.
You guys should make a code thing so when people swear they automatically get a warning by the system. Whe they get three warnings, the game will delete their character. I would like to add this to my game, and i think it would make all those poor sports shut up.

Actually, you can check for such things when players enter text--check out the findtext and findText procs.

Of course, the first time someone is typing fast and misspells "luck" or "ship" they'll get upset at being accused of obscenity... it's a tricky problem. :)
In response to Guy T.
On 3/19/01 4:49 am Guy T. wrote:

Actually, you can check for such things when players enter text--check out the findtext and findText procs.

I was making a library for this a long time ago, but foregoed development on it, mainly because I didn't want to have to type in those words myself. =P

Of course, the first time someone is typing fast and misspells "luck" or "ship" they'll get upset at being accused of obscenity... it's a tricky problem. :)

Ha! =)
Just a thought... You could make a proc that stores words in groups of say five letters (most obscene words are four letters) analyze the word and then flash it to usr. ship, shin, and slot would show and the process would be nigh invisible to foul mouthed minions of webster. if you ran it through that proc that cleans text for filenames, it would eliminate the G O A R O U N D were people inbed characters to fool the censor proc.

Do you mean something like it replaces the word with **** or something like that.
On 3/19/01 2:06 pm Dave Gravy wrote:
On 3/19/01 4:49 am Guy T. wrote:

I was making a library for this a long time ago, but foregoed development on it, mainly because I didn't want to have to type in those words myself. =P

Ha! =)
Just a thought... You could make a proc that stores words in groups of say five letters (most obscene words are four letters) analyze the word and then flash it to usr. ship, shin, and slot would show and the process would be nigh invisible to foul mouthed minions of webster. if you ran it through that proc that cleans text for filenames, it would eliminate the G O A R O U N D where people inbed characters to fool the censor proc.

Yes, I was planning on that; I'd treat all $ symbols as S's, and all zeroes as O's, that sort of thing. But I don't want to actually do it anyway. Someone else could; it only takes about five minutes looking at Character Map to get which symbols could be used to simulate other characters. But I don't want to bother making the library, because, even though it might be welcome, I'd rather not have to do it.