ID:259298

The plan is to have the mapper use one of those right-click context menus to show the contents of the current tile (identical to the client) and the various operations you can do to it (delete, edit, etc). I think this is more consistent with the windows interface.

Using the right-click for a context menu will mean that while in "Add" mode it won't be left-button to add and right-button to delete; instead, it will be left-button to add and maybe shift+left to delete (or you can delete through the right-click menu). Is that acceptable? If not, we can make it a configuration option, I suppose.
On 3/19/01 6:06 pm Tom H. wrote:
The plan is to have the mapper use one of those right-click context menus to show the contents of the current tile (identical to the client) and the various operations you can do to it (delete, edit, etc). I think this is more consistent with the windows interface.

Using the right-click for a context menu will mean that while in "Add" mode it won't be left-button to add and right-button to delete; instead, it will be left-button to add and maybe shift+left to delete (or you can delete through the right-click menu). Is that acceptable? If not, we can make it a configuration option, I suppose.

It'll take some getting used to (since we're used to the other method) but it sounds like a... hmm, what's a nice, un-Canadian word... a chobo-cool way to do it. =)

Are we going to get other features? Like flood fill, oval, and line tools? It wouldn't be too hard, would it...?

This sounds like a good plan! It's kind of annoying having to get rid of the "look" box after every time I use it...

On the overview map the controls would remain unchanged, right?
Um, by the way... Any more news about the possible 3D engine for Byond? I'm all a fluster. ;-)
Sounds good. Also, while were on the topic of the mapper, something I mentioned earlier would really make it easier to make extroadinary maps. If we could like, have some variables strictly for the mapper to allow us to pattern certain turfs. For instance, by place grass down, it would check adjacent turfs to see if there is grass there, if not, place a certain icon there. This would probably be somewhat hard but it would make a very nice addition to the map maker. Most people do not need things like this, however, in DBZ-Spar, we have sand turfs, grass turfs, and dark grass turfs, and they all have transitions so it takes a very long time to place them.
In response to Ebonshadow
Most people do not need things like this, however, in DBZ-Spar, we have sand turfs, grass turfs, and dark grass turfs, and they all have transitions so it takes a very long time to place them.

You can support this already without the map editor... check out this link.
In response to Guy T.
On 3/20/01 1:23 pm Guy T. wrote:
Most people do not need things like this, however, in DBZ-Spar, we have sand turfs, grass turfs, and dark grass turfs, and they all have transitions so it takes a very long time to place them.

You can support this already without the map editor... check out this link.
Yes i know I read your post, and actually, i thought about doing that before you even brought it up. The problem is, my maps are huge, that could create allot of lag on startup, also, you dont get the visual effect of it while making the map. If you could do it inside the map editer, you would be able to see how the map would look as if you were playing it, otherwise it could cause problems if you have like a grass, sand, and light grass right next to each other, you could easily make a mistake and end up with a very slim peice of sand or have the sand come up over the grass ect.
In response to Ebonshadow
On 3/20/01 12:54 pm ebonshadow wrote:
Sounds good. Also, while were on the topic of the mapper, something I mentioned earlier would really make it easier to make extroadinary maps. If we could like, have some variables strictly for the mapper to allow us to pattern certain turfs. For instance, by place grass down, it would check adjacent turfs to see if there is grass there, if not, place a certain icon there. This would probably be somewhat hard but it would make a very nice addition to the map maker. Most people do not need things like this, however, in DBZ-Spar, we have sand turfs, grass turfs, and dark grass turfs, and they all have transitions so it takes a very long time to place them.

I think this is a great idea, but we are probably going to hold off on it until we integrate savefiles with the mapper. Right now BYOND is severly limited by the fact that you can't reliably import and export maps between the server and the mapper. Once we support a common file (like a /savefile) that can be read by both the server and mapper, you will be able to do all sorts of neat tricks. At the very least, you could make a basic map and then run it through some .dmb program to "beautify" it with transitions and such. Then you could load it back into the mapper and touch it up. But we can probably do even better, by supporting the notion of "plugin" .dmb programs for the mapper that would basically be a shortcut for this saving and loading process.

We've been discussing this amongst ourselves for a while now, so it is definitely one of the priorities once we get back into feature creep (which won't be anytime soon-- we need to start publicizing and possibly getting some support first).
In response to Tom H.
On 3/20/01 1:40 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 3/20/01 12:54 pm ebonshadow wrote:

I think this is a great idea, but we are probably going to hold off on it until we integrate savefiles with the mapper. Right now BYOND is severly limited by the fact that you can't reliably import and export maps between the server and the mapper. Once we support a common file (like a /savefile) that can be read by both the server and mapper, you will be able to do all sorts of neat tricks. At the very least, you could make a basic map and then run it through some .dmb program to "beautify" it with transitions and such. Then you could load it back into the mapper and touch it up. But we can probably do even better, by supporting the notion of "plugin" .dmb programs for the mapper that would basically be a shortcut for this saving and loading process.

We've been discussing this amongst ourselves for a while now, so it is definitely one of the priorities once we get back into feature creep (which won't be anytime soon-- we need to start publicizing and possibly getting some support first).

Sounds good. I could attempt to make a map editer myself for doing transitions and stuff like that, since the map files are so easy to read it would not be very hard. Hell, you could make a whole map in notepad! =).