ID:259299

Since this is most likely my fault and not a bug, I have learned and will refrain from cluttering up the Bug Report forum like I did so foolishly last night.

From the Una hub entry:

Host your own or login here!

Login goes to the current version, host goes to an extremely ancient version that I don't even have anywhere in my BYOND Space. What did I do wrong?

Also, I put a dancefever.dmb in my BYOND Space for Guy, but byond://AirMapster.dancefever says There is no registered information for 'airmapster.dancefever'. Same problem I assume.

Finally, I'm getting sporadic but relatively frequent crashes with 278. Hasn't been regular enough to reproduce, but it always happens when connecting to a new world. Sorry I can't provide more info at this point (if I were smarter, I would).
On 3/27/01 8:27 am Air Mapster wrote:

Login goes to the current version, host goes to an extremely ancient version that I don't even have anywhere in my BYOND Space. What did I do wrong?

The 'host' option downloads the previously uploaded zip file and installs the game on the user's machine if they don't have the current version. Did you upload a new zip when you updated the version? If not, then it is probably running a version on your machine that you previously installed. Or we might have a bug, of course.

Also, I put a dancefever.dmb in my BYOND Space for Guy, but byond://AirMapster.dancefever says <font color=red>There is no registered information for 'airmapster.dancefever'.</font> Same problem I assume.

No, this has to do with the way the new hub works. Games registered in the hub are always prefixed with your key, eg, airmapster.[something]. This allows people who don't have dantom space to also take advantage of this syntax. If you want to use the hosting service directly, try:

dantom.space.airmapster/dancefever.dmb

The 'dantom.space.airmapster' refers to your hosting site, and will be the prefix when you wish to reference additional urls from the hub.

In other words, there is no direct connection between the host and the hub. This will allow other third parties to host BYOND games in the future without complicating the syntax. As far as users (of the hub) are concerned, the hosting location is irrelevant.

Finally, I'm getting sporadic but relatively frequent crashes with 278. Hasn't been regular enough to reproduce, but it always happens when connecting to a new world.

Darn. I wonder if it has to do with the new resource cleanup (your reboot error -- is that still happening?) Does it happen on regular .debug reboot calls too?

In response to Tom H.
On 3/27/01 1:11 pm Tom H. wrote:
On 3/27/01 8:27 am Air Mapster wrote:

The 'host' option downloads the previously uploaded zip file and installs the game on the user's machine if they don't have the current version. Did you upload a new zip when you updated the version? If not, then it is probably running a version on your machine that you previously installed. Or we might have a bug, of course.

I did upload the new zip, and did it again just to be sure. It reports the correct file size when I go to edit the Hub entry. I do see an old version in MyHub\airmapster on my local drive, so that must be what it's running. Question is, shouldn't it pull the new version from the Hub because the version number has increased? I even tried upping the version number at the Hub to see if it would download then. Nope. Am I wrong again? I'm guessing that if I delete the cached version on my pc, everything will be ok, but perhaps there's a problem with updating for a new version?

dantom.space.airmapster/dancefever.dmb

Cool, works for me!

Finally, I'm getting sporadic but relatively frequent crashes with 278. Hasn't been regular enough to reproduce, but it always happens when connecting to a new world.

Darn. I wonder if it has to do with the new resource cleanup (your reboot error -- is that still happening?) Does it happen on regular .debug reboot calls too?

Hmm, so far, no. After many attempts I haven't gotten it to crash on reboot. Just seems to happen occasionally on a new connection.
In response to Air Mapster

I do see an old version in MyHub\airmapster on my local drive, so that must be what it's running.

Can you post the entry in cfg/MyHub.txt that corresponds to Una? It would be in your personal cfg-space (byond/users/.../cfg).

It would also be helpful to see the entry in cfg/hub.txt. That one contains the current info advertised by the hub and the other one contains the info about what you actually have installed. Perhaps the version number of the one you have installed somehow got messed up...

--Dan
In response to Dan
On 3/29/01 8:44 am Dan wrote:
Can you post the entry in cfg/MyHub.txt that corresponds to Una? It would be in your personal cfg-space (byond/users/.../cfg).

It would also be helpful to see the entry in cfg/hub.txt.

Aha! Without knowing more about the details, I'd say this is once again my screwup, not yours. The files look like this (lines broken up):

MyHub.txt
AirMapster.Una id=29&hubpath=AirMapster.Una&version=20&type&
rtime=985664096&mtime=985464631&file=una.dmb

hub.txt
AirMapster.Una hubpath=AirMapster.Una;id=29;title=Una;mtime=
985730494;rtime=985744551;login=byond%3a%2f%2fDantom.Space.
AirMapster%2funa.dmb;info=http%3a%2f%2fmheasley.byond.com%2f
una.html;version=20

Here's what happened: I previously did not have a "host" option in my Hub entry. Everything was cool, the Login option always linked to the current world binary. When the Hub was changed to the new system, I suddenly got a host option in addition to the login option. The host option was pointing to an ancient world binary I had uploaded way back about 2 months ago when I was first trying to figure all this stuff out. So at this point, I had a good login link and a very old host link. I didn't know what was going on, so I figured I could delete my Hub entry and create it fresh, from scratch.

The new Hub id is 88, not 29. But I have 29 cached, so I keep going back to that, while I'll bet that new users will go to the correct, updated version at Hub id 88 for both host and login options. Even though I incremented the version number for id 88, that didn't matter since my configuration was pointing to 29. I can't test til I get home, but I bet if I remove those 2 files from the cfg directory, everything will work.

Perhaps there are a few things you can do on your end to avoid confusion for silly users like myself who go around mucking things like they aren't supposed to. Normally, you wouldn't expect Hub ids to change, but perhaps that doesn't need to be cached by the client? I'm sure you have good reasons for it, though... Also, I wonder why the Hub didn't report something like "id 29 is no longer available" when my client went to compare its version with the Hub version. Perhaps something like that could make the client delete its cached entry and look for a new one? I'm sure I'm making assumptions about things I know nothing about, so maybe that wouldn't work...
In response to Air Mapster

The new Hub id is 88, not 29. But I have 29 cached, so I keep going back to that

That sounds correct. I will make it notify the client about the deleted hub entry. Good catch. Contrary to your assertion, this is not your fault!

--Dan