ID:260504

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if the BYONF software would ever be open-source. I friend of mine told me it was, but I had never heard of it being so and I didn't find anything about it being open-source when I searched. I assume that my friend was mistaken. Still, it got me to thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if BYOND were open-source"? And even if you say no, then they'll be this topic that tells people so. XD Again, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I didn't see a category this topic 100% fit into.

(And yes, I am prepared for a "NO!". Just curious.)
No.
Guy Hendricks wrote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Not the worst place you could have put it for sure, though I personally believe "Bug Reports" would be the best place. ;-)

I was wondering if the BYOND software would ever be open-source.

I've been bugging the BYOND development staff about it for awhile, and I'm still optimistic that some parts of BYOND may become Free Software in the future. However, at present, it's all pretty closed up.

I friend of mine told me it was, but I had never heard of it being so and I didn't find anything about it being open-source when I searched. I assume that my friend was mistaken.

Definitely mistaken - BYOND is free to use, but it does not respect users' rights to modify and improve upon it.

Still, it got me to thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if BYOND were open-source"?

It would be very cool!

And even if you say no, then they'll be this topic that tells people so. XD Again, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I didn't see a category this topic 100% fit into.
(And yes, I am prepared for a "NO!". Just curious.)

"NO!" is what you'll get at this point, if history repeats itself. However, I hope that one day, given enough persuasion and time, BYOND will start opening up.
Guy Hendricks wrote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if the BYONF software would ever be open-source. I friend of mine told me it was, but I had never heard of it being so and I didn't find anything about it being open-source when I searched.

Well, I'm glad you searched, which is more than a whole lot of people do. This has definitely been asked a lot on the forums, though. And indeed, the answer is no.

I assume that my friend was mistaken. Still, it got me to thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if BYOND were open-source"? And even if you say no, then they'll be this topic that tells people so. XD Again, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I didn't see a category this topic 100% fit into.

This would be the place for it. But the reasons it's not open source have been discussed on other threads. This one seems to recur every few months, which puts it somewhere in the top five:

• Will BYOND ever support native voice chat? (No--probably)
  • Will BYOND ever be open source? (No)
  • Are you guys gonna stop all these rips already?!? (No)
  • Can we put in a feature to disable screenshots and the printscreen key? (NO!)
  • Will BYOND ever support 3D? (Gads no!)

All semi-joking aside though, the source just wouldn't cope in an open format, and BYOND is not the kind of rare project (e.g. Mozilla) that would survive and stay updated as open source. Also I like having a job.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
That being said, I'd like to ask a little more about that. I have seen a lot of projects and engines that weren't open sourced, but at the very least, allowed people to build plug-ins for the software. At the very least, I think this would be a really good feature.

And while full featured 3D is out of the question, one day I'd like to see BYOND progress far enough, that multi-player games that look and feel like Wolfenstein 3D which uses pusedo 3D is more of a reality and easier to do. We have a few games that are pretty close to it, but due to BYOND, aren't exactly running that great.

In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Can we put in a feature to disable screenshots and the printscreen key? (NO!)

Although, with 4.0 you can disable the menu and reroute the F2 macro, which at least partially deals with the screenshot. As for the printscreen though, there is no reason BYOND should do this.
In response to PirateHead
It might be a good idea if for whatever reason the BYOND site has to close down and production stop, but yeah, for the most part at current there isn't much of a reason to make it open source.

Actually, the only reason I can think of to make it open source is so as to enable single-player games to be made self-executable.
In response to Jamesburrow
If people are asking for it, I don't see why not. There are a few games I've played, where if you try to take a screen shot, the image becomes all messed up. At the very least, it would be a nice option to allow people to turn on or disable print screen scrambling from the source itself.
In response to Baladin
Right. And if you do this, someone desperate enough to try to steal your icons would just get a camera and snap a picture of it. No matter what you do, someone will try to find a way around it.

<font size=1>Not that anyone who really wants to steal your icons won't just extract them from the copy of the resource they download when opening your game....</font>

Also, those games which jumble the image don't always work. I can tell you one way to get around it right now :
open up paint or something like that, minimize it as much as possible and stick it out of the way, making sure you can see the game but the other window is still the focus. Hit print screen, and without giving the game your focus, paste the image into your paint program. Boom. You have a screenshot of the game.
There is no way to truly disable the print screen button, and anyone who wants to and is willing to spend 5 minutes thinking will get it.
That isn't the point, if there is a lot of people asking for it, why not just do it? Having to go out of your way and take 5 mins to do something might stop people from doing it. I don't see the issue here.

BYOND Users: We Want this.
BYOND: *Fingers in Ears* LALALALA
In response to Baladin
Because it would take a little more than 5 minutes?

Besides, who cares if it keeps getting asked for? For the most part, they don't have enough time to actually add some of the useful features, let alone some of these requests that serve no purpose at all.
I didn't say that the feature itself would take 5 mins, but I am pretty sure that it wouldn't be the longest thing in the world to implement.

Obviously some people care if they keep asking for it. Ignoring people on a simple feature that a lot of people are asking for is just plain ignorant. After all, without the community BYOND wouldn't be ANYTHING.
In response to Baladin
Except, not the entire community want this. In fact, all in all, this is a pretty horrible idea to begin with. Even if all it took was for the BYOND developers to snap their fingers and boom it would be done, I sincerely hope they would not do so.

In fact, I urge you to search the forums. I'm sure Lummox has a witty reply as to why it should never be done on BYOND.
In response to Baladin
The problem with an opensource project is this
You actully need to distribute the source meaning hosting and probably
you actully need to open the source and to do that might allow people to create a decompiler and therefor being able to acquire the source to any game
byond should probably remain mostly closed (except for an implementation of gecko for a linux based byond)
I don't care if it is witty or not. Give a good reason why, if it is a easy task, why it shouldn't be done.
In response to Baladin
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Basically : There is no reason to disable a legitimate feature that will do more to annoy users than help them.
The developer of said game should have the decision if they want to allow users to grab screen captures, not the other way around. I don't care if I annoyed users by not allowing them to use the print screen button. These responses are the same tired excuses BYOND has been using. Just implement it and let the game author's decide.
In response to Baladin
Baladin wrote:
The developer of said game should have the decision if they want to allow users to grab screen captures, not the other way around. I don't care if I annoyed users by not allowing them to use the print screen button. These responses are the same tired excuses BYOND has been using. Just implement it and let the game author's decide.

Disable printscreen and I'll use this. Also, my mouse has a built-in kickbutt zooming thing. So I can just copy the icons pixel by pixel. Disabling printscreen is useless and a waste of time.

GOOD GAME.
In response to Baladin
Please do a search for all the previous discussions on this, such as [link], and do NOT hijack this by starting on that topic again.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Will BYOND ever be open source? (No)

It wouldn't make any sense for DreamMaker or DreamSeeker to be open source since it would only open up many avenues for abuse, but glancing over this topic makes me wonder if it might be possible to separate the map editor from DreamSeeker at some point and make that open source.

An open-source map editor could prove handy for the development of certain games, since it would allow little customizations like auto-joining terrain in the map editor instead of at runtime.
Page: 1 2 3