In response to Jamesburrow
But it does not have the most merit.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
These tools would be great if map making was perfectly analogous to drawing a picture. But it isn't. Good map making usually means the map maker gives consideration to every tile individually, rather than just using mass tools.

No offence, but you're painting a pretty general picture here. I can tell you two facts: 1) I've been considered an incredibly good level designer by those people on BYOND I've made maps for, and 2) I've deeply longed for features which would make mapping easier for me. I can also state an opinion: 3) these features would improve map quality, not decrease it, because designing on a tile-by-tile basis can be detrimental: it reduces the scope of a map, whereas large-scope maps can be an important consideration in some designs (particularly games which allow players to build things).

And for other stuff like randomized terrain, that's all better done in code.

No, randomised terrain is much better when done by the level designer himself, since he can directly witness and alter the appearance after it has been generated.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
People have been making maps for hundreds of years without this feature, I'm sure they will last several hundred years more.

I'd rather see other stuff get implemented, like a setting for move-animations disabled for a client's own mob, while not affecting the animation effect for other players viewing the mob.

Hold up. You're saying that we should disregard a feature that would improve maps, a feature common to, I'd estimate 90% of games, so that we can have that? (a setting for move-animations disabled for a client's own mob while not affecting the animation effect for other players viewing the mob) Do we have priorties mixed up here, or are you just shooting down suggestions so that yours will get put in faster?
In response to Obs
Since when do features have to be suggested one at a time? Besides. I feel that improving the map making tools would by extension improve the maps.
In response to Chessmaster_19
A new form of movement can benefit many games.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
A new form of movement can benefit many games.
such as?

mapping my platformer is annoying cause:
no fill option
no diagonal line option
In response to Obs
That is very true and I get where your going at, but I would say too that Mapping does need this feature, and Mapping and Pixel Art are the exact same thing, all your doing in one is 'Mapping the pixels' and the other 'Mapping the tiles', really in both your drawing a picture.

Things like Draw Line, Draw Rectangle, and Draw Oval would help so much in mapping, litteraly could save hours of time, trying to figure how to make a perfect circle and such, or going in diagnol lines down something.

There are better things to do on BYOND, but not alot that could be done easily, if BYOND'ers have already done this, than why would it be that hard for the person who made BYOND?
Page: 1 2